View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM
LanternEQ
Fire Beetle

Hey guys. Had a chance to check this out. spdat.eff and spells.eff are both binary.

spdat.eff - Contains information about each spell, it's type, mana cost, effects, etc. I have this parsed.

spells.eff - I assume this contains information about the particles as it references the sprite strings founds in gequip.s3d. I do think the actual particle system logic is inside either an executable or the dll, which is fine. I had planned on reverse engineering it anyway.

Here is what I currently need to do:

1. Find the index reference in the spdat.eff entry which corresponds with the visual effect in spells.eff.
2. Figure out the format for spells.eff. I have take a brief look at it and it's not like most EQ data (fixed length structs), so it will be a bit more difficult.
3. Recreate the particle systems by testing them in game. For example, if the healing spell references a specific visual effect, I can break the particle system down into chunks and recreate it in Unity.

Will be slow and require a lot of time (and I am pretty sure it hasn't been done before), but I will get it done.

In the meantime, if anyone has any information about the spells.eff file, that would be great.