View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
This server interests me with the sub-classing system. I wanted to do something like this recently with my server that I am building (and ultimately will re-write because I am unsatisfied with it) except with a classless system. Every player would start as the same 'EQ' class, but they would obtain different spells depending on what spells they either A) learned, B) were taught in the ways of.

For example, every spell was ranger usable, but only certain spells were scribed depending on quests completed. Some were researched thru tradeskills. This sounds like what you are trying to do but being a bit more restrictive on the spells available; which isn't a bad thing, honestly, as that way each class has a definitive role. I just had my idea for flexibility.

A suggestion with the bots; make them have their own spell lines, and customize them to be more like EQLive mercenaries, instead of having to make them be a specific kind of class. All you need is four bot types; Tank, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer. You can restrict what bot spells are available in the DB, and what bots are available if you customize the DB.

I like the way the bots are now; you can have any base class you want which makes everything a bit more interesting. The merc style bots idea isn't a bad one however, but I don't see a need to implement it on Varlyndria. To help avoid confusion about giving bots a class role, I will be adding a disclaimer that explains bots cannot learn how to advance in a Varlyndrian path.

Your server idea seems pretty open which is good, but sometimes games like Skyrim can be mundane without that restricted flavor to define a role. I didn't really like the original diablo class system either, which allowed you to be a half-assed version of yourself if you wanted to be. Ultimately, those choices are pointless in the end to the base class which is better all around so most builds in diablo 1 were pretty horrible.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server!