View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
trevius
Developer

I recently upgraded my main gaming PC on a budget and it seems to do well. It can easily handle a full group (6 or more) EQ windows at once.

The most important thing for loading multiple EQ accounts at once is RAM and lots of it. The more RAM you have, the more it can handle. I would recommend getting 2GBs of RAM at least, but 3GB would be better. Any more than that won't be used very well by most operating systems unless you are running a 64bit OS.

I am using an AMD 6400+ Dual Core CPU on my PC, which is probably the best bang for the buck. Or, at least it was a few months ago when I did the upgrade. Of course, you will need a motherboard that can support that processor, but most of the new AMD motherboards can.

For video, you don't need anything amazing to be able to handle EQ. I run a Gforce 7900GS 256MB card and it works fine for me and isn't expensive. Though, I am sure you could find a better video card than that for a nice price, since I bought that one a while back.

I am sure it wouldn't hurt to have a decent SATA HD. And, for optimal EQEMU performance for server and client both, you would be best to use a wired LAN connection instead of wireless. But, wireless should do fine if that is all you have available.

The sound card doesn't really matter much, because if you are running more than 1 or 2 EQ windows at a time, you will most likely have to disable sound in-game completely or you will risk a crash caused by the sound card trying to handle too many streams at once.

Last, you will want a nice power supply that can handle all of this new equipment. I recommend Antec or Thermaltake since they are both well known quality power supplies.

If you just want a pre-made PC, you can probably make one with whatever stats you like from Dell. Or, you can just get one from your local PC store.