View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Torven
Sarnak

I made a discovery since my last reply that is significant and I want emus to be aware of it.

Sony implemented a way of overriding the resist adjust for NPC casted spells on a per-NPC basis. This means that when you read the spell data for a spell a NPC casts, it may in fact be less resistable than it appears.

I discovered this while parsing Terror's (the golem in fearplane) resists. His AoE was hitting me even though I had over 600 cold resist and was level 90. The spell data on his AoE shows no resist modifier. (it's the same AoE Vox uses) The only way his AoE could be hitting me would be if that specific NPC had a resist adjust modifier for his AoE that overrides the spell data.

I also noticed this when I was parsing Sontalak and Klandicar in Western Wastes. Their fear was hitting me even though I was level 90 with 600+ resists.

I noticed the emu actually had an unfinished implementation of this modifier, but the editor did not have the input for it. One of the emu coders either discovered this or they just wanted the option available. For TAKP I had Cavedude update the editor to include the input. Terror would be a loot pinata without it. (his modifier is quite large, perhaps -400 or -500)

There is a simple method to estimate what the resist adjust is. If you take a character having the same level as the NPC and arrange his resists to a level where a significant amount of both hits and resists will occur, you can come up with a ratio from which you can estimate a resist adjust from.

For example, if you have 500 resist value and the spell hits you 25% of the time, the resist modifier would be -350 because 2 resist value translates into 1% rate rate. (for all-or-nothing spells or full damage DD hits)

Using a character that is not the same level as the NPC makes the math a bit harder. Resist bonus from level disparity is level^2/2. The problem with this is that I don't know what the caps are (if any) or if the rules change after level 66 like PCvsNPC resists.