View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, that is an unfortunate issue. I don't know about the legality of distributing the emitter files, but I wouldn't think that the _chr.txt files would be much of an issue. They are extremely simple .txt files that could easily be reproduced and require no reverse engineering, or changes of any kind.

SOE hosts their patch files individually on static links that anyone could download from. I don't see how their could be any legal issues about providing links for players to download those files directly from SOE. With that being the case, I don't really see much of an issue with hosting the .txt files yourself individually or in a .zip file or something.

It would be nice to have a solid universal solution for this issue. Like, maybe including the download links as part of the Playguide installation instructions. That way everyone would have them from the start.

Currently, my plan is to use the zones that do have those files for all of my lower to mid level exp zones. Then, maybe for higher level zones I would use some of the ones that might require the download. This should give players time to establish themselves on the server and give them time to become aware of the required downloads to see the special models.

I haven't looked into the spell file too deeply yet. I am not really aware of many issues with it other than many of the effects not being coded into the emu source yet (which is a problem on Titanium as well). But I do plan to try to figure out what the best route is for handling both clients on the same spell file.