View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Alright I'm about at wits end trying to get my client connected without the stuttering.

I've been having the symptoms similar to the ones posted in this thread, the client running perfectly for a few seconds then freezing everything (client, mouse, other windows) for 10-30s. The char select screen runs just fine, but I assume that's because it's newer code and programmed for multicore processors (maybe?).

I should note that mobs aren't agroing even though they're kos, and I assume this is because the maps on the server are different than the client, but that shouldn't effect anything else than the eq client right?

The system:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2 cores @ 2.2GHz)
2 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair @ 333MHz
NVidia GeForce 7600 GS
WinXP Pro SP3

Things I have tried that have not worked:
- Used Process Explorer to force affinity for 1 core.
- Updated directX (was already 9.0c, but apparently there was an update available)
- Updated video drivers
- Installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer
- Disabled Cool'N'Quiet by setting power settings as above
- Played with the maxFPS directive in eqclient.ini (set anywhere from 10 to 5000 fps)
- Installed most of the other updates though windows update (not all, one nvidia network one caused permanent bluescreens on bootup)

Updating the CPU drivers (from 1.2.something to 1.3.2) seemed to have a small effect. Instead of getting one frame every 30s or so, I would get one every 15-20s.

Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar situation where they managed to fix it?