View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM
vales
Discordant

EQEmu has always worked.

I just installed the Titanium client again, and it works perfectly fine (aside from small flickers - but I blame SLi for that). SoF worked fine with no issues since I'm assuming the client version is more optimized for recent hardware. Since the Titanium client can't be patched, it has it's flaws. But you get more functionality out of playing. SoF is getting there, but there's still some work needed. I'm sure given the time, the SoF client will surpass Titanium since there a lot more information to get from it plus better client support right out of the box.

But to answer your question, I would just get Secrets of Faydwer since Titanium is very difficult to find. You can get both for under 10 dollars if you're lucky. If you don't get it now, you may never be able to since they will be releasing it via digital download from now on. SoF is the last client you will be able to buy as far as retail releases go for EverQuest. It's only 5 DOLLARS with FREE shipping via newegg.com.

Just think of it as this:

1.) Titanium has more playability, but is difficult to find a retail copy since SoF pretty much replaced it. Supports older hardware just fine, but newer hardware may have some issues.

2.) Secrets of Faydwer client is more optimized for newer hardware but lacks in functionalty as far as playing goes. Think of it as the Titanium client when it was first supported. Lots of OPCodes still need to be coded in, and some may encounter bugs with skills, spells, etc. It's minor though, and completely worth it. Some older zones have been completely replaced, so zoning may cause some issues.

So I'll post this just so everyone understands.

1.) If you're using Vista, you DO NOT need to install the Dual Core patches for AMD CPUs. Vista already has them installed.
2.) If you're using Vista and a Dual/Quad Core CPU, Titianium and SoF work right out of the box. No need to change the affinity for the CPU.

For the record, I'm running SoF and Titanium clients on Vista64 perfectly fine. No CPU patches or affinity switching.

Although I can't say if it's specifically a Vista64 thing, I still see people having issues with the game running fast, etc. Assuming that they're NOT using Vista32 or 64-bit, that might be the issue. I'm not saying to go out and switch to Vista (especially since Windows 7 is right around the corner), but if you're running Windows XP, you're going to have to work a little harder to get things to run fine.

Windows XP is at the end of it's life expectancy anyways and was supposed to be phased out by Vista, but since people are pretty vehement to upgrade their hardware, they stuck with XP. XP support will be completely gone by 2014, and Vista retail will be phased out starting in 2011 - being replaced by the much better Windows 7.

Whatever the case, it doesn't matter anyway since the world is ending in 2012.