Thread: Huppy's Sandbox
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

I just want to clarify a few things, since sometimes I get a question about the sandbox server regarding things that weren't specificly addressed, and I apologize for that. I do have random moments where I am (unintentionally), being too brief with details, thinking I am being understood. (I'm working on that fault)

First of all, even though I have 6 seperate personal server projects on the go, the sandbox server is NOT a testbox for any of those projects. It has nothing to do with them. But at the same time, "Huppy's Sandbox" is not about Huppy either. It's a totally unselfish project that I am even dishing out money to a remote host, for it to be there 24/7.

You can think about the sandbox as a trivial little resource, contributed for the odd 'new" person to use for exploring in a troubleshooting way for their own recent install. Let me give you one, tiny example. John Doe installs a fresh server. He logs on, only to find some things may not be functioning as they should. (a door, a zone point, or whatever else). His first instinct is to start searching, googling or asking questions in the community. "Is this supposed to work, or did it come that way ? Did I do something on my end, or should I tell someone it's not working ?

Well, he has one more troubleshooting option available which "might" save someone wasted time. Since the sandbox server is (and always will be) in it's default, vanilla state, the way it came when it was installed, he can log on to it and see if that same issue is occuring. The database, the quests, etc, are not edited, customized or altered from it's default install, other than a couple helpful npc's I put in the PoK for convenience. I also enabled mercs, for anyone to who wants to explore their default functionality.

Yes, we all know there is many different resources and options for John Doe/newbie to search, read or ask, but this is just one more added to the list. I realize someone can also go explore the PEQ server project, but I've already compared that with default installs in the past and not everything that gets fixed on the PEQTGC may come fixed in the default end-user installs. Eventually, the peq database does get those fixes, but doesn't help John Doe today. Once a month, the server will get updated (currently at vs 9167), including the quests, database and source code, if needed.

Random PLAYERS - The server is open to the public, but as I mentioned, it's NOT a production server, nor will I be running around fixing things that, by default, do not work. It would defeat the whole purpose of it being there. You can log on and play, with no expectations. This is NOT a server for players to explore GM commands. You are welcome to use MQ/2, etc. I don't care about warping/ghosting. I only have one restriction for any and all players, which is common sense. Respect the server, anyone who may be on it and don't be a jerk. You don't need any patch files, just grab any client of your choice (Rof2 is recommended, but not required). But as a REMINDER, I will NOT be accepting requests/suggestions to fix anything, or alter the server mechanics for any reason. It must remain in it's default, install.

I hope this has enlightened a few people. Have Fun!