View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 11:18 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Just to hollar out from another end of the stick here, the server project I am working on is a hobby for me and any expenses
involved with it are my own responsibility. Fortunately, for me, there is no expenses, just time and effort at a computer.
Even if I was going to put it up for public play here, there would still be no expenses. For those who WILL have a major
population, then they would be looking at paying for hosting with a decent data connection, but in all reality,
new servers would have a lot of work to do in attracting that kind of player base trying to keep them all happy.
Right now, I have 150 Mbps fibreplus internet connection at home. That is for my everyday internet use, not a "hobby expense".
IF and when I decide to put my project up for public play, it won't be aimed at a major population. Again, reality check, that
population is not out there for new servers, unless you're intentionally trying to be competetive within the existing player base.
In the end, my internet connection would easily handle 150 players with no issues, but it would never see that many.
So for myself, Time = Enjoyable Hobby (without the need to cater to a player with a wallet) Hence, the content
and enjoyment of it, is all about achieving the goals of what I enjoy myself. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any point.
Sacrificing all that, just to "skillup" your population count ? No Thank You.