View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
toddfx
Fire Beetle

Default Extracting zones from EQ

Hey guys,

Great work around here! I wish I had got into EQ modding during its prime. I did a good deal of The Sims 2 modding, where I was among the team to first successfully inject custom 3D models. I also did extensive vehicle modding to the GTA series which was quite fun!

Today though I have found a new project. I've been pulling EQ zone geometry from the game using the DirectX app 3D Ripper DX, and polishing it up in 3D Studio Max with some lighting and such (check my renders out here if you'd like). So far though, I have only been able to snag small sections of zones at a time using the utility.

That is, until I discovered the applications you guys have here. Using Kaiyodo's Model Viewer and the Delphi Zone Converter, I have had success in getting the geometry of a full zone into Max.

However, texture mapping is another story. In all cases so far, the models come in (through OBJ, POV, and DXF formats) with no materials applied, meaning I'd have to go in manually link bitmaps and re-apply the textures to each and every surface. This is something I do not want to have to do..I would continue using 3D Ripper DX (which pulls in fully mapped and good to go models) before I succumb to manual labor!

Furthermore, I've had limited success in retaining the UV coordinates of the models imported. The only definite success I've had in bringing in UV's are through the POV format straight from Kaiyodo's Model Viewer, but the way it displays and imports the zone geometry is quite strange (it layers all the pieces up at 0,0 rather than constructing the zone as a whole; like in this example). I like that DZone Converter actually constructs the zone, however it does not seem to retain UV's or bitmap mapping.

So now I come before you seeking advice. With all the tools and craftsmanship around here, surely there has got to be a way to get fully UV'd and textured zone models from EQ into 3DS Max, right? I see lots of traffic from max into EQ, but do you guys have any tips on going the opposite direction? I have only briefly glanced at OpenZone, but found no way to import S3D or WLD files. I also read through this thread but "VB Zone Converter" gives a "Runtime 5" error when I export to POV.

If somebody could let me know what I seem to be missing and maybe point me in the right direction, i'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much, guys!