View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I thought EQEmu was based on the work from EthernalQuest (hackersquest.org), which was the first EQ Emulator project that I am aware of.

http://web.archive.org/web/200106301...quest.gomp.ch/

Their main dev was ashran, but other members include draigon, megaton, Kilamon, QuadLynx, Slicer, and Zordon (though I think they mostly worked on other EQ related projects on the hackersquest site).

I remember following their work back in 2001, but the first successful EQ Emulator was running in 2000 or maybe earlier.

Even if EQEmu was rewritten from the ground up, it would make sense that the team at the time at least used the work from EthernalQuest to base it off of.

I believe this has been brought up in the past, but I don't remember the details offhand. It may be that they are completely unrelated, but worth mentioning here.

Happy Birthday EQEmu, either way. Everyone that has helped to make this project possible is awesome (even devn00b)
Ethernalquest was done in ruby (at least the 2nd version) and had NOTHING to do with eqemu, other than sometimes some shared structs/opcode info.

He (ashram<aka assram>) didn't much care for us because he really wanted to be the only emulator on the block, and once we started to gather steam he became less and less willing to share information. until he just disappeared off the face of the planet. Come to think of it, it was probably when they moved the login out of the .dll and added encryption for the 1st time 'round that he poofed.

Eqemu started with AGX and his old tripod site, he got only so far then released his code and left the scene. It was then taken, and updated, upgraded and re-coded countless times till you have what you see today, but that was all based the work of AGX and written in C++.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server