View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle-Bishop View Post
Hi all,

So, I will be without internet, or reliable internet for the next few years, and of course still want to play EQ solo/with my roomies.

I also used to play on P99, and loved it. I was wondering, is there any way to get the server files from there, so that I could create my own local private server on my machine, with P99 files and what not?

If not, are there any other servers like Project 99 that are available? Or something close-ish to classic?

I do appreciate any replies/suggestions that one could have, as I am new to setting up a server, especially one for EQ.
Ok, what the hek, it's Sunday. I'm bored, so I will humour you with an answer that may very well serve as repetitive clarification on these forums, which is unfortunately needed, everytime this topic is brought up. But I don't live in Disneyland, I live in that Jurassic Park, we call reality, so I am apt to tell someone what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.

P99 is a private project, not "open source", and they will never share the years of work they put into it. That's not going to happen. This may be the case with many other private servers you see on that list as well. I won't go as far as saying it's impossible to find someone who will share their work, but nobody is obligated. The source code you see on github is the "open source" and freely available for anyone to download and use, or even offer their own contributions to it, if they have the skills. Everything else that is done in this project is a gift from the teams of devs that continue to work on it, out of the kindness of their own hearts. (the database, quests, etc.) They don't have to. They can quit anytime they feel like it, leaving all of us high and dry.

For anyone "new" who wishes to have their own server, those resources are available for download, in which you can do any editing you want to make your server just how you like it. You can use Akka's installer, or if you have the knowledge, you can download all the resources seperately and put it all together yourself. Depending on how you want your server, (classic,custom,etc.), it can take days, weeks, months, or even years of editing to get it the way you want it. "Open source" does not mean someone is going to do the work for you.

Although, once in awhile, someone puts their old database up for grabs, the odds of finding what you're looking for are very slim. A true classic server won't involve just a database. It would have to have source code editing done for the binaries, as well as tons of quests being edited, to have the whole thing put together as a package, is not likely. There is still going to be tons of work to do, regardless. And if you don't have the skills to edit and mod, you can take the time to learn, but to gain most of that knowledge, an internet connection would be feasible for longer than just a short time.

You say you're "new to setting up an EQ server". So even if you did aquire someone's "server files", you would still have a lot of work to do setting it up, in which case, again, you would need a continuous internet connection to "read", how to do it. Some people in the past have spent a few years, advocating for P99 to share their work, but in all reality, (welcome to Jurassic Park), all that time wasted, they could of had all the work done to have that kind of server. People can do anything, if they put their mind to it.