Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I still haven't decided. For everyone out there, PLEASE STOP PM-BOMBING ME ABOUT IT! I plan to work on it tonight to see what improvements I can make, but one thing that would really help (big time) would be an intelligent discussion on how server ops could deal with the possibility of cheating with an open-sourced client. I suspect that it would involve one or more layers of encryption in a closed-source version, but this isn't something where I'm knowledgeable. Maybe there should be a common LS-level crypto with individual world-level crypto? I have no idea, but if I had some idea of what is required I could at least put some hooks in place. The main point of trying to spur this discussion among all of you though is so I can make a more informed decision. Releasing the source is not something that can be undone so I want to be certain that it won't be a catastrophic mistake.

In the meantime I want to try to make a minor architectural change to prepare for a *possible* open-source release as well as try to address the bugs that have been found recently. I might even add a really simple options window so things like window fade can be controlled. I have no set plan for tonight, but these are some of the things I have in mind.