View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Exporting

EQG Weapon Model Importer can also export existing weapon model data to the .ply format. This may be useful if you want to use an existing model as the basis for a new one, or just to muck with something you're familiar with.

1. In EQG Weapon Model Importer, select your desired .mod file and right-click to bring up the "Export Selected Model to .ply" option. It'll ask you for the folder you want to export to. The exported file will have the same name, just with .ply instead of .mod.

2. Then, go into Blender (or whatever), and find the option to import from .ply...

3. Note that, in Blender at least, we aren't given the option to specify which way is up when importing. So the models will generally be on their sides. Rotating the Y axis by 270 degrees in Blender will get it back upright.

Annndddd... that's it. The program is not thoroughly tested so there could be bugs etc. Also there are probably Material Property types that I missed (I didn't look very hard) as well as the mysterious Opacity options, so if anyone feels like figuring out all of those I'll be sure to include them. Also, some pre-existing weapon models have multiple Materials to allow e.g. different shininess values for different parts of the model, but currently this tool supports only one material for new models. Materials are applied on a triangle-by-triangle basis... I'm not sure of any good, non-tedious way of selecting particular triangles (especially since I'm not likely to produce anything like a complicated 3D interface). Here's hoping particles are a bit easier...