View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 02:02 AM
LanternEQ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
As far as I remember it, Kaiyodo's spell editor wouldn't tell you anything about spell particles beyond what ID numbers different particle effects had.

If you're specifically interested in the classic, pre-Luclin spell particle effects, information is hard to come by. I believe all the data for these are hardcoded in the client binaries (probably one of the graphics DLLs) rather than being loaded from a separate client data file (as most graphics-related things are).

Over on the Project1999 forums, Telin has done a lot of work reimplementing the particle effects from the pre-Luclin spell particles in the post-Luclin particle effect system, so he'd probably know the most on the subject. Though I don't know if he'd be interested in sharing.

As a side note, particle effect data for classic weapon models (e.g., epics) is exposed in client data files, and is relatively simple and moderately understood. There's a decent chance that the particle data for classic spells used the same format or something similar, since it would have fed into the same particle effect system. (In the post-Luclin system, data for spell and weapon particles definitely use the same format.) I had a barebones tool for editing this classic weapon particle data (some videos of results can be seen in this thread).
Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look in the files and saw that there is spdat.eff, which contains binary data about the spells. There was also spells.eff, which may contain the particle data. I originally assumed that there was something in these files about the particle system it uses. I didn't assume it had all the data but I have a classic client and a test server so I can always verify the effects and reverse engineer that way.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Telin and see what he has so far. If I make any progress, I'll release it to the community.