View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
In the time you wrote that post, Bill Gates became $40k richer.

If someone is using their spare time to play EverQuest, then likely they know how to manage their time already and don't need a forum post telling them how or when to waste it.

Time is money indeed.
But Secrets, you're totally wrong dude. Let me break it down for you.

Time = Money. (duh)

Your Server = Not Your Server. You may think it's yours because you built it, modded it, and are the sole person paying the bills to keep it running, but it's totally not yours. Your server owners (aka, your players) require you to keep the server running in perpetuity because of their colossal investment of free time.

Wait. It isn't free time. It's time, and time is definitely not free. Well... It is free, but there is a limited amount of it so it's precious.... WHATEVER.

Time = money. Time = money. Time = money.

Ok. I'm back on track.

You have to capitulate and do everything your players ask of you, up to and including making your server (ahem, *THEIR SERVER*) super easy and with content consumable at the fastest possible rate. This will enable the maximum possible return on their time (aka, investment). However, this means you are required to churn out new content every 30 days or so as that is roughly when your server owner's ROI will begin to decrease.

I hope this helps. =P