View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Jcr4990
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKillmore View Post
Hey guys lurker here finally decided after playing on a few to make a customer server, been wondering where i should go with it, i know 'go with what you like, and people will play' thing but i'm trying to gather ideas...

I'm a fan of World of Warcraft so I was thinking something like this;

Option 1: Make a World of Warcraft in Everquest type server, same 'type' races, same 'type' classes with same abilities, armor, etc things like that.

OR

Option 2: Doing a minialmist server what this entitles would be like, the first set of gear you would get would have 1 hp, 1 mana, spells would cost like, 1-4 mana, mobs would hit for like 1-5, things like that, SUPER minialmist..

What do you guys think?
Take it from someone that was in a similar position back around mid October. Unless you're 100% okay with your server taking a LONG TIME to develop. Start with the base EQ formula and make small tweaks to your liking as you go. It takes far more time and effort to make a fully custom server than most people realize (including myself) before they actually make an attempt at it. Coming up with super cool ideas for a server is the easy part. Figuring out implementation within the eqemu framework is a whole different story. Don't get me wrong you can do a LOT of super cool stuff. But if you go the super custom route you'll almost inevitably run into the situation I have multiple times "Oh shit I really wanted to do x or y cool mechanic but the client is hardcoded to do something else and I can't really get around that".

Starting from vanila EQ and tweaking spells for various classes to have a more WoW like feel wouldn't be super hard if that's the route you wanted to go. Just as an example though if you want to implement a WoW rogue style energy bar and combo point based skills? Good luck. Not saying it can't be done but it's not easy. I attempted editing the source code that controls endurance to set it to a max of 200 and remove the endurance loss on jump mechanic and make it regen super quickly to mimic a WoW energy bar. Even if you're able to do that 100% correctly the client is hard coded to show something totally different so your endurance bar on your UI will show an entirely different value than what you actually have serverside. Your other idea about super minimal numbers is cool on paper but presents quite a bit of difficulty in achieving class balance (if that's something you're concerned with).

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything. You should definitely play with it and try to make something you enjoy. Just wanted to share some insights as I had similar thoughts about making a very custom server that I started on just a few months ago. I'm still working on it daily with a friend of mine and we've put in pretty extensive hours and it's nowhere near done.