View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglegenerator View Post
From the time I click my EQ icon to the time I get in game is roughly 20 seconds. It's fast, but I'd like it to be even faster.
Faster than 20 seconds ? I would recommend to anyone, reduce their sugar intake and/or lay off the energy drinks, lol (kidding) I have a few puters, but I also have an OLD client-only box, 16GB ram, 3.5 GHz chip, 2 GB graphics card and a simple 250GB HDD drive in it. It takes roughly 20-30 seconds from icon click to in-game. That's just barely enough time to grab a coffee while it loads. But one of the more modern boxes I have, (I use for testing), 4.5 GHz chip, 32 GB ram, SSD drive, etc. I have both server and client on it and it STILL take that 20 seconds from icon to in-game. I'm not concerned about it, myself, it's fast enough for me.
My point is, hardware is the least contributor in many cases, but many things you can do on both client and server side to help. Here's one thing I did, that I read about somewhere, with the RoF2 client, I pruned it right down, getting rid of anything/files the client didn't need to log onto my own server. (zone files, etc). It made a remarkable difference in how long it took loading and getting into the game.