View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
trevius
Developer

Still looking into this, it seems like this would maybe not be too hard to implement into the spawn_conditions code. Instead of just checking the time of day, it could have a separate option to just check player range from the spawn point before spawning and then depop if they get out of range of the NPC once it has spawned if they don't have aggro on it already.

I am trying to think of this on a per mob basis to make the concept easier to grasp which should hopefully make coding easier. Basically, all we need is a way for the server to spawn an NPC when a player gets near a spawngroup location without using any kind of placeholder to spawn it. It would have to check if an NPC is already spawned at that location before it tries to spawn another. Then, there needs to be a similar setup to depop the NPC when they get out of range if the NPC isn't engaged/aggroed.

I am sure this could be done with quests fairly easily, but it would be much easier to do it for entire zones at a time by setting a simple setting in the database. I think we could even potentially just have the check run as a client location check vs. the spawn group location and radius settings. Then, every spawn location in the zone wouldn't be looking for players to enter their radius, the check would only be done from around the client if they got within the radius which might reduce server load as well.

it looks like the spawn_conditions are checked before anything else when deciding to spawn an NPC, so that would be a good thing to reference when setting up this system.

Doing the coding work for this is probably a bit above my skill level, but I will keep looking into possibilities of how to write code for it.

Last edited by trevius; 10-02-2008 at 07:40 AM..