View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 AM
knowom
Discordant

Default Inglorious Adventures of S3DSpy Texture Modding

This is just a thread I decided to pop up show off some of my texture modding I'm toying around with. These few screen shots are all of Unrest with some textures replace with either Nexus textures or Katta textures or a bit of both. If you notice it's white in places it's because I messed something up not sure if it's to do with a renamed extension from .bmp to .dds that I forgot to rename back or a missing texture. The graphics engine will default it to that flat white color under certain conditions is all I know for certain.

Here's a list I wrote down as I did it of the textures used from which .s3d files and the files they were used to replace.

Code:
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katta_hrock01.dds replaces entryway.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katroof03.dds replaces roof.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katroof03.dds replaces 1roof.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katcathwindow_s.dds replaces interiorwall.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d kattagrass.dds replaces xgrasdir.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d kattagrass.dds replaces xgrass1.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d kattower01.dds replaces floor.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katta_hrock03.dds replaces newbrickwall.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katvampfloor01.dds replaces block.bmp
katta.s3d to unrest.s3d katvampfloor02.dds replaces stoneblocksn.bmp

nexus.s3d to unrest.s3d nexfloor301.dds replaces sidewalk.bmp
Use S3DSpy extract your .s3d file to a folder by zone name for each zone that you'll be working with. Find the texture you like and want to swap it's a little hit or miss figuring out which textures go where in game. After you have your files rename your new textures to that of the ones they'll be replacing click add in S3DSpy and select add the files you renamed to add. You'll get a prompt asking to overwrite the current textures with the new ones hit yes on all of them and then your done copy your newly modded .s3d file to your EQ directory and test it out.

You'll want to turn of texture caching in the game options or delete the old zones texture file first in order to see the new changes. The code I listed is just the .s3d files used and the textures swapped. Just to give you a example. Some came out pretty nice others didn't look so great and didn't go in the spots I thought or intended them to.

A PHP editor like Akkadius made for other customizing would be handy. I believe you can isolate individual textures by simply deleting them in your .s3d file. As a result the zone will be white except for the texture or textures you swap in if you did that for each texture file name and took a screen shot in game of where the textures went you'd have a intuitive idea of where each individual texture file name in a zone belongs in game. It would be time consuming doing so especially as some zones are bigger than others, but it would be handy once completed. It would be the kind of thing to work on a zone at a time and maybe have a few different people each working on different zones starting with the classic zones most likely.