View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I have to go out on an "unbias limb" here with this discussion. I've been around for almost 9 years now and seen a lot of negative and trolling responses to threads by many people, (without following the forum rules). It's a system we have to live with and adapt to.
I'm not going to sit here and defend Maze's comments, but even if some of his posts piss me off, I'm not going to have a full out hate-on for him, or any other members making negative posts like that. I would not cut anyone down, just because I was angry at them, but at the same time, I would be open and honest about the person, whether something good or bad needs to be said. Maze is no exception to my philosophy.
There is many times, I have saw the good come out in Maze over the years, but he also gets in to these "cranky" moods once in awhile and logs into these forums to vent it in the wrong way, in which I would encourage him to take some holidays, (or sleep it off). But I've also seen many times, where he made a simple humorous comment that was misinterpreted the wrong way and people started dumping on him. I wouldn't throw sticks and stones at anyone, out of anger, but I've always believed that, no matter how rough someone is on the outside, they all have the potential to let the good out in them. Unfortunately, with someone like Maze, he doesn't seem like he wants to. With the knowledge he has and that (often supressed) humour he could be a lot of fun around here.(in a positive way). He is not stupid, he knows his stuff.
As far as servers going up and down in this project, there has already been servers on that green list that have gone down just as fast as some on the whitelist. There has been servers that were owned by Admins and project developers that were taken down. The servers are free to play on and nobody is under any obligation in this entire project from source code to end user. It's a hobby. Playing on any one of these servers is a risk that you are already aware of. Just being realistic here, but server owners owe nothing to anyone. The admins and devs of P99 could shut that switch off with 1100 players on it and life goes on.
You could go play on EQ Live DB servers, if you want stability. I just logged on there for the first time in a long time, my server choice and toons are all still there, since 2003. I did happen to notice, on the character creation, any and all races/classes have no choice except Crescent Reach for starting city. If that's your thing, lol
A lot of players here are just hopping from server to server anyways, so people shouldn't be so bent on that server list. Regardless of what a new server does, nobody is going to come up with "new content" that hasn't already been done, unless you open up high end expansions and zones with some customization that haven't been done yet. Or maybe you really want to go kill the sleeper for the 100th time ?
Even using Maze's LoN server as an example, after initial launch, it peaked at 200+ players, but as it always happens, with any new server, a big surge of players hop on, then it tones down to a lower average, (less than 100). On some custom servers, if the content is easy to run through, the players train through it, like a big guild did on live with a new expansion release. Then they move on. That's one of the reason's I would agree with (one) phrase that Maze used. "Shelf Life". A population thing.
But I think he was referring to "new servers", not the ones that have been around a awhile. This project and that server list is evolving.

Dogmai - I totally get the motive behind your idea for server info, but I'm afraid there probably wouldn't be much co-operation from too many server owners. If you notice, there is already a lot that are not taking the initiative to even register their server, let alone want to put much effort into communicating with potential players. But It's been my experience that a lot of the players don't even read the server list on the forums. That gets made evident with all the "I am looking for.....server" posts, which always end up with the same results. Did they "read" before they posted ? Not really, lol.
As far as getting the admins and devs on this site to implement your idea ? Take a number, everyone is still waiting for the SMS to get fixed, that has been broken for years now.