View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

This is just my own "bias" opinion on this topic that has been the subject of dismay for many years now.
Password retrieval is common in many facets of life, but I don't understand why so many people go through
phones and emails like oil changes on cars, haha. I've had a hotmail address I started in the year 2000 and
I still use it with the same login/password. I don't get into the worrysome woes of fretting over hackers, etc.
I don't keep any important personal info, anywhere on this puter, let alone the internet and I definately
don't worry about anyone maliciously getting into trivial little forum accounts like this one. It's only a game,
so go ahead, hack my account, I'll just start up a new one. I know it can be frustrating when a player puts
countless weeks, (or months) into progressing a toon, then expect to come back to that toon after a long
hiatus away from the game, but at the same time, I have seen some former players, on one post they will
rant about wanting servers without any kind of a time sync, or significant grind but at the same time,
spending a year, trying to retrieve an account that they put a lot of time into, when they could of raised
a new toon in less time.

On the other side of the fence - I do agree, it would be nice to have something in place, BUT ......

This gaming community is nothing more than a non-profit free game project, full of volunteers contributing
what they can with unselfish motives. Speaking for myself, I've never had any expectations from this, or the
people running it. There is some sites and projects on the internet that tell you when you sign up, you get
a stern message about not forgetting your password, it can never be retrieved. I personally think this
whole SMS system should of never been implemented in the first place, simply because, nothing is ever perfect
and I definately would of anticipated the high expectations that players have now over the whole thing.
I don't think anyone should be expecting any perfect development of any kind, in this whole project, nor
should they expect the "volunteers" to pick up the slack for the players own mistakes and mishaps in
their personal lives that caused the barrier between them and their accounts. If we were all paying monthy,
(like live), then yes, we would have full right to complain.
When you think about it, there has to be some kind of deterrent that encourages members to start
taking responsibility for their end of the account info. The volunteers, they have personal lives and real
jobs besides all the tedious dev work in this project.

Phone service is not perfect either. Last year, I had a relative sign on with a totally different provider and
when she tried sending me text messages, I wasn't getting any of them. She had to change providers
again, because I wasn't the only one who wasn't receiving any from her. It had something to do with
the different providers and their own cheesy systems. But even now, I have a friend that sends me a text
once in awhile with a 30-45 minute delay on average. It's frustrating, but I tell everyone in my personal life,
Got something to say, or want to talk, pick up the damn phone and dial my number, otherwise, send me
a quick note through email and I will read it when I get to it. I don't care for "text conversations", simply
because I don't want to spend my day babysitting a cell phone. Just sayin ..... :P