View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 AM
trevius
Developer

Aergad, did you read my post at all, or did you just not understand what I was talking about?

The old mini-login that is IP based uses the server's accounts table to authenticate, only it uses IP instead of any sort of password. That is the exact thing I am talking about that we could do with a new Private LS that could authenticate via passwords instead. It would run locally on the individual server's network (or even on the same server), and would have direct access to the accounts table for authentication exactly like the IP Mini-Login does now. It is a simple concept. It also has nothing at all to do with running some centralized account database, as that would be one of the worst security risks possible, LMAO. I don't think you quite understood what I was talking about. And yes, #setpass would set the password in the correct place for this idea to work.

Now, if there are some password authentication issues with Login Servers, then that is news to me. I couldn't come up with a good solution without knowing all of the details. But, I can't really imagine that the client would ever not send the password for authenticating unless there was a hack around it. And if there is a hack around it that compromises accounts, then I don't see what that has to do with this particular idea that doesn't also effect all Public and Private Login Servers already.

Last edited by trevius; 03-29-2009 at 12:23 PM..