View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Lane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
When I first started tinkering with emu I was going to try a pvp server that could possibly refresh the attitude that you used to be able to find on Tallon Zek. Early on a lot of people had a role-played attitude about it and the server was basically PvE with real accountability.

The idea might not fit what you're wanting to do, but I'll share it because I would love to see it realized, especially by people with experience handling the issues that come with PvP servers.

Basically everyone starts out on the same team, Harmony, or whatever you want to call it.
Once you get a certain amount of people the server picks one at random and presents a popup trying to entice them to Discord. (That's where Discordant Whisper came from, which ended up being pure PvE)
You would probably need to tweak the ratio, but the idea is to maintain a pool of outlaws. I was thinking 1 in 10, but it really depends on your total population.

You could be grouped up with someone and they could suddenly be able to attack you, assuming they decide to go rogue. I figured I would announce the killer and the killed so that people are compelled to start tracking them.
The idea is to get as many kills as you can before you are taken down, or even group up with other discordants if possible. You could set up leaderboards based on longest time alive, longest streak, etc.

Once you die from any PvP encounter, regardless of team, you get put on a third team, Contemplation. In this state you cannot engage or be engaged in any kind of PvP. This way someone who is in a PvE mood can avoid being griefed, but buffs and heals would have to be set up as same team only.
After a period of time, maybe a few hours, you revert to Harmony automatically. Alternatively, you could complete a relatively simple quest to get there quicker. That way you could get back to the action with enough delay to prevent bind rushing.

I had most of it coded but I gave up after seeing how common cheats were in use just in PvE. I didn't think I could keep up with all of the necessary babysitting.

This is a very cool idea but I think the idea of harmony for us is a little too passive. I really do like the "murderer" flag idea though