View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM
kris1
Sarnak

I appreciate all of your help. I get that it will be a lot of work. I'm certainly not looking for an easy or quick solution to anything. Or a solution at all really...I just want something to do, and will enjoy tweaking and playing with this. So, I really am in the right mindset for it.

And though it's a considerably simpler version, I used to own a restaurant, and this DB does not seem dissimilar to setting up a point of sale cash register.

What I was/am struggling with is the HeidiSQL. And it's just growing pains. And it's frustrating, because the guides on here are very heavy in information relating to the server DB and very light in how some of the software actually works. I think that guide on how to install the server could use a tab on that list that explains ever so briefly how HeidiSQL works...I didn't even get to the point where trial and error to figure out the DB was possible, because I wasn't sure whether or not the things i was doing in HeidiSQL were actually impacting my server. A single sentence in one of the guides would have saved me almost an entire day of just trying to figure that out.

Again, not blaming anyone...it's super sweet that this is even a thing, and everyone involved deserves nothing but praise for it. And after all my pissing and moaning, after meeting one seemingly insurmountable wall after another, I am no longer stuck on getting the server installed...and I'm no longer stuck on getting the LAN login working...and I'm no longer stuck on trying to get HeidiSQL to connect to my server...and I'm no longer stuck on trying to gt the changes made in HeidiSQL active on my server. I've moved on to my newest seemingly insurmountable wall, getting my server locked, and giving my and my friend's accounts the proper status to be able to log into the locked server.

Anyways, I'm not afraid of spending hours and hours reading about this. That's actually exactly what I am looking for, a new hobby and time sink. What I am afraid of is wasting hours and hours trying to find that which I should spend hours and hours reading, when someone might be able to point me to these resources expediently.

I personally do not feel like i was handed a shovel. i feel like i was handed a billet of steel and a log, and told about the possible existence of a wood lathe that could help me make that log into a handle, and that there are furnaces that are capable of heating the steel enough for you to make a spade head out of it.

I don't want someone to do any digging for me, I just want some advice as to how to get the oven hot enough for me to make the shovel head, and where do I plug in the lathe? Oh...and does anyone know where I can find an anvil?

I totally get where you are coming from, and every day I am still shocked, after years of playing on THF, and P99, as to exactly how many volunteered man hours have gone into this. And every time I come to the forums for something I surprised by exactly how much time people are willing to dedicate to helping each other.

So, thanks again for all of your help.