View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Just to add one more thought, in my opinion, whenever an individual visits this site and
views all the opportunity and resources available,becoming interested in starting their
own project, I think the first question they need to ask themselves - "Why do I want to
create a server?" and think about it real hard, being honest with themselves.
For some people it may be all about the excitement. For others, it might be all about that
glory of becoming a GM for all the perks and "virtual" power ingame.
I'm sure the most common reason is an initial taste for a different style and game play
that isn't available on existing servers, so creating one would be smart for them.
As for the solo players who wake up one day thinking about trying to have their own
server, would be more likely aiming at a simple home lan game, since they usually want to
play alone anyways. The only deterrent for them is not knowing how or where to start.
I often wonder, with all the "solid" servers that started out, did that person have any
intentions of actually playing the game once it became public and got running good ?
Or do they spend too much time developing and administrating the server to enjoy it ?