Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Jouer
Fire Beetle

Default Best/Correct Guide?

Hi all. New here and looking to set up a Windows server. I've been digging through the forums and the site and am having a problem figuring out what guide to follow to get things up and running. It's pretty confusing. There are a bunch on the site as well as at least three different ones stickied in this forum! Each one says follow this guide exactly, etc. and each one seems different. I don't want to waste a bunch of time starting out with the wrong guide or something that has me installing outdated versions of things, etc.

From what I can tell, the Huppy guide seems like the most recent one, but it runs 26+ pages and also seems to have "evolved" over time. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I've missed something obvious here.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

the emulator and various bits of software required to run it are under constant development, so things will continue to evolve over time. many of the guides contain superfluous information or software (example: navicat) that tend to complicate things needlessly, and -none- of them are going to cover absolutely everything.

if you intend to compile your own binaries, you should follow this guide:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35722

if not, you'll need to check the documentation wherever you got the pre-compiled binaries, as the requirements for things such as perl/mysql may be different.

once you have the correct software installed, the configuration part should be covered nicely in the latest guide. if something goes wrong, don't sweat it too much. there are countless bits of information to be found on how to resolve a great deal of issues, and as long as you give it a shot and can ask for help in a clear and informative manner, there is generally someone here willing to assist (sometimes regardless of the hour).
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Generally the huppy guide is a good one to follow but read the post by akkadius for compiling. Combine the two, don't be a complete retard and you'll be fine.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Jouer
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the replies folks. I've managed to get everything up and running, but I can't seem to figure out how to log in to my server. I'll post a question about this elsewhere in a more appropriate place.

Thanks again.