Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Misc > Archive::Off Topic

Archive::Off Topic Archive area for Off Topic's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Djani
Fire Beetle

Default Info. Requested from coders...

I am very seriously thinking about learning to Program. I have room to take a class or 2 in that area.

My question is this: What is the standard now? Is C++ pretty much what its about? or is it all going towards Java? or what?

I want to be able to know a language thats going to be around for a long while, i dont want to learn something that no one uses a couple years down the road.

Any info you wise and mighty coders could pass on would be very helpfull

XOXO
Mary T

P.S. Whats EQ programmed in?
Old 07-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Merth
Dragon

If you're looking to make money, c# or java are the languages to learn these days. Make sure to learn SQL and at least one enterprise level database (ie Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle).

c++ jobs are much harder to come by - especially when you lack years of professional experience. Furthermore, recent studies suggest c++ jobs actually pay less than c# or java.

If you're looking to get into the gaming industry, c++ is the language to learn. But you're opening a whole can of worms there on what you should know. Besides, that industry is probably based on who you know in addition to what you know.

PS: The EQ client was made in c++. For the server side code, it was likely done with c++, but you never know for sure..