Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Ivanovich
Fire Beetle

Default Greetings - question, if I may

Hello from Russia, all

I apologize sincerely if this question was asked - but I dug through the forums for some time and did not see it. So please humor me if you will with a response.

It's been - well, forever, since I've played EQ. I loved the game, though and was wondering how close this emulator has come to the original game itself in terms of functionality. I remember playing an Ultima Online emulator, and it was limited and buggy in what could, could not be done - but that engine was also far more complicated (program wise) than EQ's "hack and slash" type game.

So what say you? Is EQEmu as good as the original? Better? Worse?

Thanks in advance!

-Ivan
Old 07-05-2005, 05:48 AM
zelgar
Fire Beetle

A lot of the "better" or "worse" factor is based on a few things. Primarily, on what your views of "better" and "worse" are. If you are looking for EQEmu to be identical to EverQuest, and anything less will be "worse", then it is worse. If you are looking for something that is close to live EverQuest, and, in many situations, highly unique, then it is by far better. Secondly, it depends on the server. There are some servers that are almost entirely unique in content, while others stick very closely to live.

The best way to figure out what is "better" or "worse" to you, is to try them out and see.

Admin of Dark Rifts (MUD)
darkrifts.org port 5000
Old 07-05-2005, 06:37 AM
steelrat
Sarnak

Talking Different aspects..

You will find, by looking around on these forums, that there are a lot of Servers running a variety of *types* of EQ game... those where PVP is dominant, those that are *legit*, in their emulation of EQ.. some a mix of all types with a huge variety of custom content (even totally custom zones), and an immense diversity of quests.
Indeed, those server ops have invested a huge time, and no mean effort into their creations, I would tell you that "Better or Worse", is very much in the eye of the beholder when it comes to these servers.
Come on in, actually try some.. then decide.. a quick search in these boards will get you instructions on how to play.
Welcome, and have fun!

SR.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Ivanovich
Fire Beetle

Thank you for your responses. I apologize, I was looking at it from a server operator's point of view. I'd like to run a server, and want to understand whether or not the game will be enjoyable to players - insofar as the idea of the game mechanics (fighting, questing) are not broken.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:15 AM
zelgar
Fire Beetle

To my knowledge, and on every server that I've played on, almost everything works wonderfully. There are some servers that have higher combat rates, ones that quests don't work on, etc. If you have an understanding of Perl, you can probably get quests working, combat works as is upon compile (or starting the binaries if you're using Windows).

In short, The EMU can do everything that Live can, but is more customizable to what you want as a server op.

Admin of Dark Rifts (MUD)
darkrifts.org port 5000
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
steelrat
Sarnak

Talking this is just my opnion...but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanovich
Thank you for your responses. I apologize, I was looking at it from a server operator's point of view. I'd like to run a server, and want to understand whether or not the game will be enjoyable to players - insofar as the idea of the game mechanics (fighting, questing) are not broken.

Thanks again.

I run an 060DR3 server... and, from my players of view. everything works very well..(at least thats the feedback I get from them).. There IS a lot of work both getting a server running, and keeping it running, not to mention the quests, populating the zones, and the almost endless fiddling just to get a slightly better this or that..
If I was you, I'd go for DR3, the guards work, there are very few bugs..the whole thing runs almost straight from the word go..you can be sure your players won't be disappointed!! (mine weren't).

Good luck..
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

eqemu is great..but people who work on live actually get payed to work on it, this is done out of everyones good will.