Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 AM
blackde
Fire Beetle

Default Local Server issues

Hello,

I would like to start off by saying thank you to everyone here that has worked hard to make all this possible. I have off and on played EQ since the day of its release. My first toon was a human necro on RZ server. I quit playing for abit then came back when kunark was released and started a Iksar necro on the Drinal server. Which was named something before that. After soloing for a time i joined a raiding guild and stayed there till we beat Omens the latest expansion at the time. I was bored of the class at this point and rolled up a Ogre warrior and raided with him till Underfoot. I didn't much care for the content plus the feeling of eq being more like a job then a hobby. So i quit for the last time. As fate would have it i found this place I have tried server 99 some but want to set up a local server of my own to tinker with/ play with my kids. On to my issues lol

Ok so i followed the Complete Windows Server guide. I'm installing it on a 64 bit system. I'm stuck at 6c.) The Database

In the command prompt window cd C:\EQ\SQL brings up C:\EQ\SQL like it should. When i enter mysql -uroot password i get this error:

ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

just with that info i'm sure someone knows the answer but i will ask a few questions anyway please.

1)I'm 95% sure i entered a password for MySQL and even wrote it down...but anyway to check it?

2)when you type mysql -uroot it has a -password on the write up. is the - needed before password?

3)has my server got a name yet? where can i check that

i may have more questions later but these should be good for now

thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Uleat
Developer

Quote:
mysql -uroot -pyourpassword peq

1) The password is security hashed..and requires a valid login to retrieve.

2) It also needs a 'p'

3) Not my area :/

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 AM
blackde
Fire Beetle

thanks for the reply

i tried mysql -uroot -ppassword and it gave me a warning about using the password on a command line. plus the same 2003 error

also i tried mysql -uroot -ppassword peq and got the same response
Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 AM
Bohbo
Hill Giant

You could try resetting the root password to roll that 5% of the dice that you messed up the PW.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...rmissions.html
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Is MySQL running? Program mysqld.exe - check the task manager.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Riklin
Hill Giant

If you followed the server setup instructions precisely, then this shouldn't happen. I've done this setup many times in the last month. The issue usually is caused by trying to change the data directory for MySQL, or possibly a permission setup issue. It will also happen if you aren't running MySQL as a service.

You probably need to rerun this program and reconfigure your MySQL instance.
MySQLInstanceConfig.exe.

Once again re-read the server setup guide...

At some point if you get totally frustrated and cannot get it to work, it may be best to uninstall MySQL and start over. MySQL is particularly difficult to completely remove from a windows computer, so do some web searches for completely remove MySQL from windows and follow those instructions. Don't forget to reboot often after doing major things like uninstalling or installing MySQL. Path variables need changed, services need cleaned up, etc. works best with a reboot...
Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM
blackde
Fire Beetle

When I opened the task manager I did not see it running. Does this program need to start when windows boots up? I will run the exe you mentioned later. Thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 PM
epilz
Hill Giant

Yes, did you perhaps miss this step in the Windows install doc?

Quote:
On the next screen, ensure 'Install as a Windows Service' is ticked and, very important, tick the box to 'Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH'. Then click Next.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM
blackde
Fire Beetle

Unhappy

ok so this is what happened. i'm using method 2: using XAMPP

in that step it does not mention anything about the above that you all said. It told me only to change the path.

So i guess i must have clicked thru the install without checking any boxes. I looked for the exe named MySQLInstanceConfig.exe. It is not on my machine. Does anyone have a solution to this or must i uninstall and start again?

Before i began this thread i looked on SQL forums and from what i read it sounds like removing SQL aint easy:(

thanks
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

I haven't used XAMPP but I have used WAMP. Try starting it and see if that doesn't also start MySQL. Maybe an option in it like putting it online?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:17 AM
blackde
Fire Beetle

ok so i did some digging on sql website and think i removed sql. I then downloaded version 5.1 directly from the source. I went thru all the steps outlined in installing mysql "not" using xampp.

This leads me to my next question please:

I went to the "path" and it shows \MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin at the end. Does this look correct or do i need to find mysql.exe and point there at the end?

Also when setting up the sql config i entered my password. Later in method 2: USing Xampp it has me opening a command prompt and typing mysql -root and

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@localhost' = PASSWORD('your_password');

do i need to enter the above or has my password already been set from the config earlier?

Thank you
Old 02-06-2015, 01:19 AM
epilz
Hill Giant

I used XAMPP the first time I installed and ran into multiple issues. I just reinstalled OS and started from scratch. No issues as of today
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM
blackde
Fire Beetle

ok i think i have gotten the server up and running. When i started the bat window the command window opened quickly and I saw a few .exe open. AT the moment i have a command prompt open and it says C:\EQ\EQEmuServer\eqlaunch.exe. What should i be looking for if the server is actually running? Also How do i stop the server.

I went on to the Private server setup guide Step 5

I'm having an issue here. I don't have Heidisql installed anymore only stand alone mysql. I'm not sure which file to click to set up accounts. The guide said i can use a mysql prompt but doesn't explain how. I downloaded RoF from steam and adjusted eqhost also changed the shortcut to have a patchme behind it.

thanks for the advice so far
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM
blackde
Fire Beetle

nvm the server didn't work. will look into logs and post if i'm unable to figure out. thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 AM
blackde
Fire Beetle

I keep having errors in the syntax and username issues. After viewing a few youtube videos on installing sql with xampp i was able to resolve some issues. I had to use the xampp control panel to set php passwords and mysql.

ALso i had to enter UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('new-password-here') WHERE User='user-name-here';

I have complied the data base and updating it now.