Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Default I need a server host please!

Would anyone be interested in hosting a server for me? I've got some great ideas about a server but I am not savvy enough to get one up and going. Once it is up I can edit the db and such.

If anyone is interested in doing this or has one already ready to be hosted please let me know! Thanks =)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

This seems to be a very popular question. Why can't you setup a local server with MiniLogin? There are plenty of guides on the subject that do not require you to be "tech savvy".
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexyl View Post
This seems to be a very popular question. Why can't you setup a local server with MiniLogin? There are plenty of guides on the subject that do not require you to be "tech savvy".
Sorry if I misunderstand, but wouldn't MiniLogin only allow for local play and not public? Above that, wouldn't I have to have a machine running a server 24/7 anyways? If so I cannot do it since I only have a laptop that is plug-n-play and I am moving from house to the office constantly.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Yes, it's used for local play, but I thought you were just trying to test some ideas out on a server.
If that is the case, then you don't need a server running 24/7, but only when you wanted to test something.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexyl View Post
Yes, it's used for local play, but I thought you were just trying to test some ideas out on a server.
If that is the case, then you don't need a server running 24/7, but only when you wanted to test something.
Well I want a server that the public could access on eqemulator.org.

May sound like a stupid question, but could I use the minilogin to test/develop my server, and once it's ready to go, have someone host it and just transfer the db? Also, can I use UF client for testing/developing instead of the Titanium client?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

That's not a stupid question, and yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say.
You can test all of your crazy ideas on your local server, which is no different (in the server software) than a public server. The only difference between a local server and a public server is that the local server connects to a login server that is running on your machine (that no one has access to), but a public server connects to the main login server that everyone has access to.

You can export your database and give it to whomever you want. Your quests are just Perl scripts that can be easily transferred.
You can even make code changes in the server and give them the diffs to compile, but I doubt that you'll find someone willing to do this for you.

Find a guide and follow it to the letter if this is what you want to do.