Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
pharone1
Sarnak

Default Just curious about something

I am curious about something. Just how configurable is the EQ emulator?

Let's assume that I wanted to create a special server rule set where there were only two classes: one evil and one good. Then on top of that, what if I wanted to create the available spells for each of the two classes based off of the spells available to the normal EQ classes. And, on top of that, let's assume I wanted to make it so that the evil class could only wield swords that looked like the red warrior epic 1.0 sword, and the good class could only wield swords that looked like the blue warrior epic 1.0 sword.

Could I do that with the current EQ Emulator with only making changes in the database and not having to actually rewrite the EQ Emulator code base?

And, yes if you haven't guessed by now, I am wanting to create a star wars like Jedi vs Sith server.

I am thinking about basing the sith class off of the shadow knight and the jedi class off of the paladin. I want to mix in some mage, enchanter, and beast lord spells/pets in to the mix as well.

If at all possible, I would like to completely redo the AA trees to allow the players to choose the type of game play for their character based off of the choices they make in the AA tree, but that might be too much. For instance, I would like to make it so that one of the jedi AA paths leads down to more cleric based healing and buffing spells while another jedi AA path leads down to more beastlord and enchanter spells. This is one of the things that I am wondering is even possible.

Ultimately, I would like to create some zones that are open faction-based pvp with the best gear in the game dropping from raid mobs that spawn there. So, it creates a warring environment between the jedi and sith factions.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Demi-God

You couldn't rip out the classes per se since the client provides them in the character create. What you could do is start them somewhere and then have a forced perl quest that does a permaclass to them of your choosing. Class names are also hard coded into the client so changing the actual names would be difficult.

Creating new spells you can do in spells_new through the database, the items table can be class/race specific to tailor who you want to wield what.

PVP teams would be more of a challenge without changing the source. Hardcore pvp works I don't know if Secrets ever provided the team race pvp code - and that is limited to race.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

So, if I am understanding this correctly, I could force all players to choose either Shadow Knight or Paladin through a quest, but I would not be able to change the name of the class to anything other then Shadow Knight and Paladin.

That's acceptable really. I think people would get the point anyway when they realize that shadow knights always wield a red glowing sword and paladins always wield a blue glowing sword.

And, in reality, that would be pretty cool lore wise if you start out as an ordinary class, and then through a quest series you get changed to either shadow knight or paladin (aka sith or jedi) depending on the choices you make in the quest.

I am thinking maybe I could handle the pvp aspect by making it a full pvp server (if that code is available), and then just putting lots of guards and other npcs through out the world that are either loyal to one faction or the other. Then I can make the quest that changes the character to a shadow knight or paladin adjust their faction with the npcs that follow their side (aka empire and rebel).

On top of that, I could make Neriak the sith home city and freeport the jedi home city.

I wonder though, would it be possible to make is that if you kill a player of your faction, it lowers your standing with that faction, and ultimately you get changed to the class of the other faction if your faction gets low enough. That way there, it would be possible to player kill people of your faction, but if you do it a lot (aka griefing), you end up switching factions to the other side. Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Demi-God

Regarding the faction on kill of another client - that would need a code change in attack.cpp Client:eath with parse->Event(EVENT_DEATH, 0, 0, (NPC*)NULL, this);.

Some additional changes would be required if you wanted to know who killed the client as well. The perl scripting for client was only designed to send the originator and an npc. When we send the npc as NULL we assume we want to look at the /zone/player.pl (client file).
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
KingMort
Banned

Your very Creative ! , I've actually done stuff like this on my server Raid Addicts, we have a few zones that port you in and based on your race your zapped into a special area. With guards who attack the other opposing team etc.

Pretty much you can do everything you say with both your Database, and Perl quests involving Player Quests.

For Blue Swords you can use the Warriors "Blade of Tactics" which has the model number IT141 , so you simply go into your items table make your item "Your blue sword" with whatever stats you want , then be sure that the idfile is set to IT141 and blam you will have your blue sword.. The "Blade of Strategy" is the RED one of these swords and thats IT142 .

Then you can simply go into your starting_items table and put the sword in their starting items , and or optionally you can give it to them in some quest or a TASK (imo a combo of the two is the most user friendly)

As for your Jedi Spells and what not it's not too entirely tricky to re-write spells , i'm still learning myself but once you catch onto it there is no problem. We have literally Thousands of custom spells over on my server created mostly by volunteers and myself over the years so if you need any help there I can probably find the time.

Image is correct though you won't be able to change class names the clients stuck on that but you can always have seperate guilds for each side or something to that effect.

As for making the whole server PVP , that code is already put in , and you can activate that simply by setting the pvpzone field in the zone table to 1 for all zones.. This is a simple query:

Code:
UPDATE `yourdatabase`.`zone` SET `pvpzone` = '1' WHERE `zone`.`id` > 0;
Or you can optionally only make certain zones PVP which is what I did. And then I setup Priests of Discord so that people could turn said PVP off when they choose even within those PVP zones.

Anyway hope this was of some help
Old 05-10-2011, 02:23 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Thank you very much! That's plenty to help me get started.

Now that I know it's at least possible to do something close to what I want, I am going to start building my server when I get home from work tonight.

By the way, who ever runs EZ server, thanks. That's a blast.