Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

Default Looking to host a server

As of right now Myself as well as my brother have acquired an amazing server box online that really puts just about anything else out there to shame. We however are not what one would call a "developed" coder, nor do we truly have the time/interest to put forth into creating an entire custom world.

I have enjoyed countless other servers out there and have always had fun playing on them, but whether it was last year with EZ having server issues, ghosting problems, or zones crashing on 200+ rampage pulls there are always minor problems related with servers I can't find myself able to overcome.

As it stands now we have a very minor server up !!KoV Beta64 which is running on our server box, it has been stress tested only with ~20 people with 47 accounts active at once in a single zone. Right now the connection looks like it will be able to sustain easily 100, if not slightly more (probably max the T3 at 150 people) but as it stands right now Im not sure any server has this populace.

I am looking for a server to host however, I really don't care if it is KMRA, PEQ or any of the big names or if it is Joe's House of EQ, As long as the server is fun and others are enjoying themselves then I would be more than happy to help any project keep going to support this community.

Server Specs.
2x Dual Xeon 2.66ghz 5030 series processors.

7x 2gb Sticks of Kingston DDR2 800mhz ECC Server quality Ram

Currently Set up to primary boot on a Virtual machine, but moving here shortly to Scuzi drives for improves performance (arrayed 4x 30gb HDD's)

Dedicated T3 Business grade line, 12Mb/s down 8Mb/s Up, near limitless data.

If you are at all interested just shoot me a PM, I have this box running and so far uptime has been about 20 days with 0 downtime except 5am EST for ~2 minutes for a full system backup.

I have had Linux, XP32 and XP64 running fine on this box so these will be a non issue.

If you are at all interested shoot me a PM we can talk, and hopefully this doesn't get ragged on as "Another fly by night offer" as I have been a part of playing in the EMU community for well over a year now and have just recently started hosting my server.

So Agian if you are interested in my coding knowledge check out !!KoV Beta64, and if you are interested in talking about he server just let me know. I have seen nothing but great things from the community and I am wishing to give a little back.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
trevius
Developer

Those are some pretty amazing server stats LOL. PEQ does exceed 200+ at times and is definitely the most populated server on average. I imagine your server could handle well over that number of players though. With that amount of RAM and upload bandwidth, you should be able to handle probably 500ish or so, give or take a couple hundred :P

That is certainly a nice offer. I would suggest running it on Linux, because that allows for the best access for people to admin the box remotely. I run Debian Linux and the advantages of Webmin alone make it very useful to remote admins.

Also, if you haven't already, it would probably be a really good idea to buy a decent little UPS power backup for it.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

yeah have the APC Smart 1500w 980v backup in case things go to sheet.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Yeormom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
Currently Set up to primary boot on a Virtual machine, but moving here shortly to Scuzi drives for improves performance (arrayed 4x 30gb HDD's)
This was my favorite part and maybe the sign you should do more research before taking up this very generous offer.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeormom,

Are you being serious, or are you making fun of his spelling of SCSI? :P
Old 01-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

So I misspelled SCSI, right now the server is running on two 120 Seagate 7200RPM drives, awful slow for intensive loading, but I do have the SCSI drives as well as have them running perfectly fine and figured it would be faster for zone times and backups, right now it takes 100ish seconds to do a full backup, but I figure with the # of players this could theoretically support backing up time may become an issue.

If there ever would be a problem with them I have double redundancy set up so even if two of the drives were to fail another two back them up.

yeah So I geuss being nice and offering something is frowned upon by some people. Thanks yeormom for adding exactly what I didn't want in this thread.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 AM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
Dedicated T3 Business grade line, 12Mb/s down 8Mb/s Up, near limitless data.
That seems really weird for a T3, even if it was fractional...

In all seriousness, if Krusher is still around, I think this might be the chance to bring Krusher's Semi-Legit server back. Last I knew, there were some server issues, and I thought he/she was up for letting someone else host, although I can't find the post indicating that.

As for Yeormom's comment, I assume you understand that if something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Specifically, you have a motherboard that supports 7 sticks of ECC/Registered RAM ($350-$700), but doesn't have a SCSI controller already, plus you're combining a processor with a 667 MHz FSB with 800 MHz RAM. Add in that your Internet connection itself should be in the ballpark of $3000-$4000/month (up to ~$9000 if it's a full T3), and things start to sound just a little too good.

Don't get me wrong, I always give people the benefit of the doubt, and I think this would be an excellent opportunity for anyone needing hosting for a server (I'm tempted myself, I just know my server doesn't generate much traffic and I don't have much time to put into it, so it would pretty much be a waste of resources), but if you put yourself on the other side of this & play the devil's advocate, then at least you might be able to empathize with Yeormom's comment and accept it as a valid concern rather than a flame

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
krusher
Sarnak

Default Hey

Im still around, just busy with RL stuff. I WILL be bringing the server back soon.

Krusher...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

I completely understand Yeormom's concern over this offer I have made. The only reason that this offer would even seem to be too good to be true is because there is little backstory on how this server was acquired. Doing alot of online shopping at various computer forums has payed off alot in the past for myelf and my brother. He more than I has found some amazing purchases as well as some pure junk deals. In one forum he frequents there is a section of "Useless Junk" where people can get rid of parts they no longer need or cannot use for cheap.

This is where we obtained everything we needed for the server, the Motherboard and processors came to a total of $50 because it was unsure if they worked, this coupled with the fact that the board is slightly outdated made this seem that we would be buying a $50 paperweight, but when it arrived everything ran flawlessly. Picked up the ram for $120 for 10 sticks, 8 of which worked, 1 of the 8 was did not even have a matched pair. It was a steal since the ram is ECC the seller didn't have a supported board to test if it worked.

Everything else we have acquired has been through junk sales and we have bought far more non working goods than anything that we could actually use. as far as the dedicated line goes, I am currently living on the outskirts of a college campus, actually living within their residential living section that they have just obtained from the city as a dedicated college housing. After talking with a few members of the college, the city and the ISP they have upgraded all internet in this region and all that the current non college residents (all like 7 of us) have brand new internet that costs us only ~30ish dollars more a month than my old crappy 4mbs down /512ks up.

But agian, there really isnt anything to lose in a situation like this for someone whom is just starting up a server, or doesnt have adequate hosting as the case may be with krusher. Agian I am just trying to be nice and figured that a little bit of information on how I came across this great setup would help show that agian, I am just here to help with what I have.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

I would also like to add, just as an after thought to all of this, I am by no means a computer whiz, I have built my own computer but that is as far as my knowledge extends. I do however know this server is up and running, and I implore anyone interested to check it out. If you are even interested in this just let me know, I will give you whatever specifications I can and even take pictures (lol) of the server itself and individual components if there would be anyone interested.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
plus you're combining a processor with a 667 MHz FSB with 800 MHz RAM.
Just wanted to point this out and say, "It doesn't matter."

Both CPU and RAM can run at whatever frequencies are supported by the motherboard and the chip itself. Motherboards have dividers/multipliers to ensure that can be set to ensure the devices can communicate correctly.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Why waste this good hardware on an EQEmulator server? With this capacity, we could host FIFTEEN loginservers and forums on the same box!

http://www.serverpronto.com/

eqemulator has the starter, so using math...

yeah, you guys see where i'm going with this
Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
plus you're combining a processor with a 667 MHz FSB with 800 MHz RAM.
Just wanted to point this out and say, "It doesn't matter."

Both CPU and RAM can run at whatever frequencies are supported by the motherboard and the chip itself. Motherboards have dividers/multipliers to ensure that can be set to ensure the devices can communicate correctly.
Don't want to derail too much, but what would happen in that circumstance is the RAM would be clocked down to 667 MHz, because that's what the FSB would have to run at for the processor. All it would really do is reduce the speed of the RAM a bit. At least it's not the other way around, because if it was, the processor wouldn't be running at 2.66 GHz. I mainly pointed it out because the speed of the RAM isn't really worth mentioning as 800 MHz because it's not going to be running that fast.

If I get a chance to pull the DB from my server (which is down until I can get the Ethernet cable run), I might be interested in this, since it will at least give others a chance to have a Non-Legit server again. However, I hope you have multiple IPs, because the Emu server doesn't really work with multiple servers on the same box (at least last I knew).

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
trevius
Developer

That is a weird setup for a channelized T3. Normally you would have the same upload and download speeds. But, I guess they can set the CIR to be different for each direction.

It definitely isn't possible to run more than 1 server inside a single LAN, because you need to forward the ports to the correct PC for it to work, and you can't forward to more than 1 PC. But, you may be able to get around that by setting up each server on their own separate VMWare instance. Then, you would have to change it to use NAT and not the bridged DHCP that pulls an IP from the router. If the ports were forwarded to the actual server that is running the VMWare sessions, maybe the NAT would allow the traffic on port 9000 to go to any of the VMWare instances from that point. I don't know for sure, but that is the only way I can think of to possibly do it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Vae
Fire Beetle

And here I thought he meant jacuzzi when he said scuzi.