Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Mexenlives
Fire Beetle

Default Playing with linux

I'm fed up with M$. Dealt with the last crash I can take and have since went the linux route. I'm pretty new to it but catching on. So how do I get on servers with this OS? I've installed Wine, Steam, and Underfoot. Kinda stuck at this point as to how to get everything rolling and files patched. Thanks for your time
~Mexan
Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
trevius
Developer

I don't have any post links offhand as far as guides go, but you can probably search the forums for stuff like "wine" and see what you find. I vaguely recall reading a thread that recommended using some other windows emulator than wine that worked well for EQEmu, but can't recall the name of it. Either way, reading a few pages from searches should help get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Tabasco
Discordant

I found SoF cheap on ebay and it works great in linux under wine. In fact, I'm always baffled when people talk about it being unstable, but apparently it sucks in windows. I can't speak for newer versions, but unless they've made drastic architectural changes to the client, they should work similarly.

The biggest issue with getting it working at that time had to do with models not showing up, which can be fixed with a patched dll. (I can send you mine if you need it. It might work, but you'll want to back up the original)
With newer versions of wine, this may no longer be an issue at all, I don't honestly know.

I also had to make some changes to my eqclient.ini, but those should be detailed in the comments below. If you can't find them there I can post mine later.
Everything you need should be in the comments.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=2939

I use Ubuntu 10.04 and keep wine up to date with their own repository.
http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

You might also want winetricks. It makes installing necessary windows libs a breeze. For EQ you'll at least need directx.
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Beyond that, setting up EQ for emu works just like it does in the regular play guide.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
jcnv
Fire Beetle

Any chance that someone with a working Ubuntu could post a VirtualBox VM of the server? I see no piracy problems there, and it might help eliminate questions like this one.