Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Nydosa
Sarnak

Default Router/Internet troubles when hosting

Hi everyone,

Another problem to ask your help on! I'm currently hosting a server, and everything seems to be working smoothly with little to no lag 99% of the time.

What occasionally happens is that when I also play characters on the computer that's hosting, it seems to completely block the internet to all computers on my router. It sometimes corrects itself, but ultimately I have to restart the router every time. This of course causes downtime for the server, or severely lags zones that I'm logged into.

Is there some setting that could cause issues for playing and hosting from the same computer? I know it's not an ideal setup, but our internet should be fine (15MBdown/1MBup) and my desktop is pretty beefy. I'm considering putting a separate computer together to host if that's the issue.

Thank you again.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
provocating
Demi-God

What is the brand/model of the router? When this happens does the internet completely shutdown for all computers on the network? Also post your eqemu config file, so we can see the private/public addresses.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Nydosa
Sarnak

Hey, thanks for the reply.

My router is a Netgear N300, and yes it nearly cuts the internet off to all users both wireless and wired. Router is up to date software-wise.

I actually noticed last night players were still connected to my server, and could use ooc to tell me there was a ton of lag. It's only noticble on the server computer if I try and use a web browser. I even tried connecting direct to my modem and still had the issue. Rebooting both modem and router seems to be the fix now.

I'm getting on a flight now, so can't get my config file for a while. I followed the most recent guide from the forums on the setup. I don't it has you changing much in there... Are there items in there that could cause this?

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Well I would not say by any means you need to put the server on its on computer, not just for this issue. I am sure there are plenty of people that host a server and play on the same one with no issues. Are you positive the computer is virus/rootkit free?

I would run combofix to run a scan, it should take less than 20 minutes. It would not hurt to run the free version of avast at least to check for a virus, remove it after if you need to. The Avast firewall may block eqemu server, but you could also turn off the shields for incoming traffic.

Honestly we really need more information, why not post a screen shot of your NAT on the firewall so we can look at how you have it setup, and post that config file anyway.

Last thing, you said it does this when you also play on the machine and then you said it does it when you surf the web. So if you do not do either one the server is fine?

And honestly I still think it is is router, do this search....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Netg...ient=firefox-a

If DD-WRT is available for that router you may want to try that. I also saw a post with a person saying their kindle fire hitting that router brings down all of their internet, I think it is the router.