Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 AM
InsaneWallaby
Sarnak

Default Just wondering...

Hey folks,

My question is this: Are there any projects that never came to fruition that I could build? Please read on for more information.

I haven't been on here for a long time (12-23-2006 for a post, with my last bit of quest work done somewhere around September 2006) because of various reasons--lack of programming skills, too much homework, too much work, and other projects--but I have since greatly padded my resume with various languages and am now running out of personal projects since I have completed or nearly completed several. Homework is still in good supply as is work, but we can't do that all the time, can we? :P Projects are always good resume builders, and I've personally grown to like programming more than computer gaming now, so I'm just looking for something I could possibly pick up and start working on. I've fallen out of touch with Everquest, since I last played the emulator over a year ago and the game itself back when the Froglok first came out, so quests are out of the question. However, I'd like to make a separate application in my free time if anybody has any ideas or saw previous ideas that never came to be.

Personally, I'd prefer working on something that could be done in PHP or Java, although I suppose I could make something small in Perl or C++, as well. This would be something for my free time, so I'd prefer no sense of urgency. Also, I'd prefer project scope to not be too large, either--nowhere more than 1000 programmer-hours of work. A project that large would probably take me a year to build since work and homework take priority. Web-based or standalone applications are both fine. I'd like to not need to work with the underlying infrastructure of the programs too much, although I suppose I could try something along those lines. Working with a database is fine--I've done plenty of DB work. Quality would be decent enough, since I tend to go through most of the UML stuff, albeit in an informal manner (pencil and paper, not so much Visual Paradigm or those other UML tools). Bugs would likely not be lost and forgotten, so long as I am made aware of them--I've developed a defect logger for myself to take care of this issue. I've got experience with developing 2-D animated frameworks and some basic texturing, so if minor 2-D artwork is needed, I can do it.

Anyways, I'm not going to post what I've already written, so if you want to check out the resume to get an idea of something I could build, feel free to get it at my website: http://people.cis.ksu.edu/~tbaruth/Resume.php. Please post any ideas that have come up over the ages that people are really itching to see. I've had this account for many years, so I still recognize some of the older folks around here and will generally give their ideas more weight, but the masses can typically be persuasive, as well.

Thanks a bunch,

InsaneWallaby