Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::Server Discussion

Archive::Server Discussion Archive area for Server Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
molimo140
Hill Giant

Default Planar Progression Based Server

I've desided to postpone my Lord of the Rings server as It seriously would take me too long to get running and i really do not have the patience...heh =/. How's this for a server:

Server is mainly based around a custom planar progression quest. Each plane (Non raid) Has a section for exping, and a section for raiding. The server in itself will be heavily raid-oriented. In order to progress through you must do all the raid sections of the regular exp zones. After completing all the events in the exp zones raid section, the first raid zone becomes open to you...you complete the events in that section and move on to next raid zone..etc.

In the end it opens up a few GoD zones because there arent enough zones in PoP to accomodate enough variety to keep the server interesting (1 zone for 20 levels = boring as hell :P) After completing the planar progression quest you get an orb from the planar projection that will spawn as a result of killing the final boss. This orb you hand to specific NPCs in certain planes to spawn the "Boss of the Bosses" kind of mobs, very hard encounters...etc. After that you can farm items, pvp in arena, and such.

Max level would be 90 including custom spells, armor, weapons, etc, as I'd like to allow a wide variety of difficulty of raids.

Each non raid zone, (exp zones) will be split into rough sections, where 1 or 2 types of mobs spawn, all being placeholders for 1-3 named per type of mob. In addition, random "yard trash" mobs will have a chance of dropping something nice, so you dont just have to kill named to get the loot =).

In addition to leveling there will be a number of special quests to be done, for all varying levels.

Any Feedback / Ideas/ Questions on this server idea? Please post.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

This server sounds like it would be awesome.

Ideas: Your not using PoP at all? You could use some PoP zones and then write a storyline for why then need to transact over to GoD zones. Just an Idea, gives you more to work with.

Hope you go through with this, it will be alot of fun if you can get a good host so its stable. And a good player base for the raids :P
Old 09-03-2004, 08:53 AM
molimo140
Hill Giant

Heh, yes i am using the PoP zones, just I want at least 7 raid zones and along with 2-3exp zones for each level set (0-20, 20-35...etc) There just arent enough planes. I'm trying to think of a story line, but that's where im not so great :P
Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Hm... PoP Gods vs Mata Muram people?

Your progressing through PoP, then Mata people attack ( this dosent need to be shown). Then some god says to the others "These mortals are strong, perhaps we can use them in our war with Mata Muram". Then you get sent on a quest from Rallos or someone, then you go and start the GOD zones.

*NOTE* This was come up with me having not slept in about 34 hours, so take it for what you will. :lol:
Old 09-08-2004, 10:16 AM
molimo140
Hill Giant

K well i've been working hard on this server idea, decided id post a basic Progression walkthrough. Not exactly what you must do in each zone, just simply what zones are involved and what order the progression will work:

EXP ZONES: (Have raid content but are mainly geared toward exp) The levels listed are just reccomended for exping, all raid content is at least geared towards level 50s. In order to access each set of zones, you must have at least achieved the minimum reccomended level.

1-20:

Plane of Nightmare
Plane of Innovation
Plane of Justice

20-35

Plane of Valor
Plane of Storms
Crypt of Decay

35 - 55
Halls of Honor
Bastion of Thunder
Plane of Disease

55-75
Temple of Marr
Vegarlson, the Earthen Badlands

75-90

Eryslai, the Kingdom of Wind
Reef of Coirnav
Plane of Time (A)

RAID ZONES (Strictly raid-oriented. In order to access these zones you must have acheieved level 90 and must go through them in order.)

Doomfire, the Burning Lands
Plane of Time (B)
Stronghold of the Twelve
Barindu, the Hanging Gardens
Txevu, Lair of the Elites
Uqua, the Ocean God Chantry
Kod`Taz, Broken Trial Grounds

--------------------------------------------------

That's what i have so far.. I'll be posting lore as soon as it is completed, i have some basic outlines, nothing final. Out of all of those zones listed, I'm working backwards, so I'll be posting Progress at the bottom of this Post:

Kod`Taz, Broken Trial Grounds - Complete
Uqua, the Ocean God Chantry - Complete
Txevu, Lair of the Elites - Complete
Barindu, the Hanging Gardens - Complete

More info as it comes. If you have any ideas / questions, please feel free to email me at molimo140@gmail.com, send me a message, AIM: Dromar140 MSN: html_god140@yahoo.com , or post below. All feedback, whether good or bad (so long as it is constructive) is greatly appreciated, as I want to tailor this server to what the public (you all) want.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

those zone ranges are huge...=\
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:26 AM
molimo140
Hill Giant

Tks for your feedback, however I dont see what is wrong with the level ranges.

For each level block (15 or 20 levels) there are 2-3 zones in which to exp in. Most planes are rather large, and can accomodate a large variety of mobs to keep the player interested. In addition, each non raid zone will have many quests that can be completed. Finally most mobs in the zones have a chance to drop loot, so if people are unable to kill the big named, they can still enjoy the fruits of their labor...so to speak.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
killspree
Dragon

Do the level ranges mean each zone will have stuff for 1-20 etc? Or will it be broken up so one has 1-10, one has 10-20, etc? 1-20 in each of the zones seems like it would make for very few appropriate mobs per level.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by killspree
Do the level ranges mean each zone will have stuff for 1-20 etc? Or will it be broken up so one has 1-10, one has 10-20, etc? 1-20 in each of the zones seems like it would make for very few appropriate mobs per level.
Yeah thats what I meant.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
molimo140
Hill Giant

It will be split. As of right now i havent got to the actual exp zones, im working on the raid zones, which is why the stuff here is not final, just rough ideas. Each zone will be for a different level set (within the base level block)
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

Just thought i'd post, I am Molimo's RL friend and will be taking the project from where it is at currently. I will contine with the posts that Molimo has made, Should see some lore within the next few days, as well as 1-2 more zones spawned. Feel free to send emails/questions to the same email / screen names as listed above, as they will be forwarded to me.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

Got a base lore written. Please read and tell me what you think, though i am a roleplayer I have trouble coming up with storylines, i'm more adept at creating character backgrounds. Anyways here we are:

*Notes* I have taken a few names from Magic the Gathering because I'm not creative with names. This is also not final, I may change it to better fit the progression later.

For thousands of years, many years before the appearance of any races other than the Gods and their minions, the planes were at peace with one another. No god dared to enter the realm of the others.
Solusek Ro was the lord of all planes, governing them from his secret chambers within his tower. He was a very vengeful and powerful leader, no other god dared to disobey an order from him, lest they face his wrath. Very few gods aside from Rallos Zek agreed with the way Solusek chose to run things, but they stayed in line with all the others.
No one had ever thought of rebelling against Solusek, however, the very son of The Rathe, Molimo, had other thoughts. He plotted to overthrow Solusek and become the new lord of the planes.
He befriended Solusek, and performed tasks for him until Solusek trusted him enough to allow him inside his chambers. Now that Molimo had gathered enough authority, he traveled to each and every plane to converse with the Gods. He told them that Solusek was planning to destroy them all and take control of every plane to be his own.
Since Molimo was so close to Solusek himself, he was trusted. Truth be told, all the gods together could easily overpower Solusek, however no other cause had united them as this one did. With the power of all the gods channeled into him, Molimo banished Solusek to the mortal realm.
Molimo went to the gods and explained that he had destroyed Soulsek. The gods rejoiced and embraced Molimo as their new leader. Rallos Zek, the only god that remained loyal to Solusek, decided to take a humanoid form, rather than face exile. Taking throne in Solusek's own tower, Molimo fashioned 4 great golems to guard the entrance to his realm.
Mishra, Vulshok, Leonin, and Kaldra each chose their home in a portion of the realm of Discord.
In the mortal world, Rallos and Solusek together spawned all the races of our time. Each raised to believe that Solusek was the only true leader, we developed a hate for Molimo unlike any other.

It is now our turn, to venture through the planes and destroy Molimo and his guardians and aid Solusek in regaining power of the planes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh well that's it, I think its kinda mediocre, but hell, I tried. Anyways, let me know what you think plz.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Scorpx725
Discordant

I think its decent. Tommorrow after I get some sleep I can email you a few thoughts of mine if you'd like.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

K sure.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

Well school started a while ago...coupled with homework and work I havent had much time to work on the server, but It's the weekend and I've done a bunch of scripting. I have all the scripts written for all encounters in every zone, Am starting on populating more zones. Recording #locs and writing them down is notoriously boring, that with my dyslexia does not help in entering the numbers into the computer.

At any rate, You will see server up FOR PLAY within a week or two. At that point there will be only level 1-35 content, and the server will go down frequently for updates.

As of now i am deciding whether or not to update to 5.9 or stick with 5.7 dr6. I know many people are having trouble connecting to 5.9 servers, which is why I am thinking of sticking to 5.7 and possibly creating a patcher.

As i get nearer to bringing up server for play, more info will be posted.

Again i urge anyone with interest in this project to shoot me an email at molimo140@gmail.com Include what talents you have and what you can provide for the development of the server. Also if you have any ideas / comments / questions please email or post below, I want to tailor this server to the wants of the public so it will be an enjoyable gaming experience for all.