Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 12-16-2002, 05:08 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

Default EQEMu Servers need your help!

Well, it appears one of our main servers is starting to be on its last legs...

He is a k6-2/300 with 256megs edo memory running on an old 6gig fujitsu ide drive. This system happens to be the first system I built myself back when I got my first domain back in January of '98.

The system has been crashing lately as you have seen (it just happens to be the only active and working login server at the moment), but more importantly, it holds over 4 months of data to do with our source tree since around the end of July.

Currently, we are processing over 1000 login requests an hour on that machine, it is really the backbone of the whole EQEMu.net project.

Telmet has already said he is sending a new cpu and motherboard to help offset the costs, but I do not have the money for what the rest of the machine needs honestly.

What I am asking of you guys is simple. I need a case like from:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...mount+atx+case

a 4U rackmount case (for 19" racks). So it will fit in The EQEMu.Net Rack

Please, only 1 person help buying one. It just needs to be ATX and 4U.

Also, money donations for the new RAID (Mirrored 40GB/8MB cache WD ATA drives) would be a great help. The drives are about $90/each and the raid controller (Promise FasTrack) is about $90 with a cache sdram installed.

If you would like to donate anything from the above, post here, and also come to #eqemu on irc.eqemu.net . I try to chat as much as possible, but this is the time I need overtime, so I might not be there 24/7. I will get you my address if you are serious. If you want to donate via paypal, dev@eqemu.net is the account. You will get a nifty Support icon for it!

Hopefully, we can get these donations done quickly and this new machine up as soon as possible.

FYI, just for some project donation stats in the last year:

1) vBulletin License (Owned) -> Pyrotek (Back in Janurary of last year).
2) $1.01 (paypal) -> Total from Baron-Sprite & devn00b
3) No Hardware (has arrived yet).

Now, the project costs about $190/month to keep running for everyone, and I have been doing this bill since around April of '01.

Well, I'll let you go on and play now.

--Hogie

.:[Updated Stats]:. (All amounts are after paypal & check cashing fees)
CPU & Motherboard Being Sent by Telmet
Raid Controller Being Sent by TrumpCard
$75.00 Donated by TrumpCard (Money Order)
$72.52 Donated by Shawn319 (paypal)
$72.52 Donated by MOORKOTH (paypal)
$72.52 Donated by Kaiyodo (paypal)
$48.25 Donated by Atma (paypal)
$4.55 Donated by (Unknown) (A. Foote) (paypal)
$7.31 Donated by justaddwater (paypal)
$19.12 Donated by Ferrall (paypal)
Old 12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
MOORKOTH
Fire Beetle

Default looking for and email to write you guys....

if you can send me a email message at hilljr@kitty-hawk.navy.mil ill see what i can do. It would help to know exactly what you need hardware wise or is there an paypal account i can send some money to.

I appreciate all you guys do on making a local server since me and my friends on the boat are out to sea alot and cant really play eq normally. This has been alot of help and fun for us since some of us is trying to learn how to program.

Again thanks.
From all the pushbuttons in CS-5
Old 12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Shawn319
Demi-God

Whats the paypal address?

(Retired)EQEmu Lead Tester
(Retired)EQEmu Tech Support

(Retired)Host/ServerOP - [LIVE] Official EQEmu Test Server
(Retired)Host/ServerOP - Shawn319's All-GM Dev Test Server
(Retired)ServerOP - EQEmu Beta Server
(Retired)ServerOP - GuildWars Server
(Retired)ServerOP - Raid Addicts
--------------------------
Old 12-16-2002, 05:40 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

Well, I have a little problem about paypal. I donthave a credit card, and I dont have a bank account, so they will not let me accept money. As soon as my checks are cashed, they go to bills, I am sure you guys know how that goes (expecially when you work 6 or 7 days a week).
Old 12-16-2002, 06:07 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

Actually, I just updated myself. We do now have a paypal account. The email address is dev@eqemu.net.

If you would like to pay by money order still, you may contact me in irc.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:08 PM
Shawn319
Demi-God

Got things started by donating 75$

(Retired)EQEmu Lead Tester
(Retired)EQEmu Tech Support

(Retired)Host/ServerOP - [LIVE] Official EQEmu Test Server
(Retired)Host/ServerOP - Shawn319's All-GM Dev Test Server
(Retired)ServerOP - EQEmu Beta Server
(Retired)ServerOP - GuildWars Server
(Retired)ServerOP - Raid Addicts
--------------------------
Old 12-16-2002, 06:09 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

As of Now, the Raid controller is taken care of. Trumpcard is sending me an older one he had laying around. Shawn has also put into the paypal account.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:47 PM
hydrocyanic
Sarnak

if i don't have credit card
what else can i do?
Old 12-16-2002, 08:15 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

Money order? I can give you my address if you come onto IRC or email me at cjunky@geek.com.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:51 PM
hydrocyanic
Sarnak

k, i will see how much i have next month
bought a kitty this month so
Old 12-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Kaiyodo
Hill Giant

Hopefully, I've sent you $75 too. It's my first time using Paypal through so you might end up with nothing or $1 million

K.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:15 AM
Arcalyn
Hill Giant

Default not afraid to be heard

I don't have it right now to send.

I did want to let you all know that I'm not afraid to speak up even if I'm shit broke....(un-employed wife and 2 kids to feed on 28K a year).

If I had any extra money or any useful parts I'd send'm.

I'm posting this cause I want ya'll to know soon as I can I'll send some, hopefully it won't be too late.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:47 AM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

I understand not everybody is able to donate because of the way the economy is. Look at me, I have a wife, and a kid (with another on the way), and I am making less than you:\ It is rough for the IT industry right now, but we are hanging on (by oddjobs I take).

So far we have about $215 in donations + hardware.

Also, if you have ever thought about it, if only 300 people donated $1 a month to the project, I would not be spending the money I could use for hardware upkeep. With over 10,000 people using the login server, I think that is fair to ask, but that is a rant I really dont want to get into. We are almost to where we can get the new server now as it is, so we are doing good (expecially after only about 12 hours of the donations being open).

I also added the donate link to the frontpage so people can see it.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:25 AM
IAkc7wzl
Sarnak

Default I wish I could help

I under stand compleatly about the IT industry. I have been out of work for a year. yea companies want my services but they don't want to pay for it. fortanly I have no kids but my income is less than 7K a year at this time and it is slim pickings for 2 people. I do have hard ware but no way of sending it.

I have cases (no rack mounts but many tower style) and verious other pieces. the prices were I live setting up a server is kinda cheep. I can buy a hardly ever used PII 400 fully loaded with the standerd hard ware (even with 3Dcards) for around $250 (ie 10 of them for $2500) and new atx tower cases go for under $50

so if I can figure how to pay for shipping I could possably help.

I thought this site was a god send becouse I allways wanted to play eq but never could aford it and saddens me that times are tuff like this.

but at this current time I can only give moral support. :(
Old 12-17-2002, 06:04 AM
Hardy
Dragon

I sure wish I could help, I have been with you guys for a long time now. If I run into anything (ie hardware) I will sure send it to ya. I don't currently have a job, so money is out of the question :cry: I will check in the basement, maybe I got some stuff there I can send ya (who knows whats in my basement, lol). Seems the donations are doing very well now, great job!