Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Default Another "Quest"ion

Is it possible (through some magic of global quest) to increase a stat for all players who share the same faction_id? I have a sort of "kingdoms" game in which there are several kingdoms associated with their own faction. When a player finds a certain item and turns it in to the king of that faction, several things happen:

1. Reinforcement guards, soldiers, etc., are spawned in and around the kingdom to protect it from other factions coming in and taking the item.

2. The character who turns the item in is awarded enough faction points to make him an ally, he is rewarded with enough xp to level at mid 30s, and he earns 5k plat.

Both of these work fine. Now I want to do the following:

To encourage the concept of factions, and to prompt players to organize their respective factions to "retake" the item for their own kingdom, I want to automatically increase the stats of all players with an ally faction of the kingdom who has the item. I'd like this to happen at item turn-in, and to maintain that increase until the item is taken from that king by another faction and given to their king. At that point I'd like to stats to go back to normal for the first faction, and increase stats for all players in the second faction once the item is turned into their king.

As long as a player's kingdom "owns" the item, he is advantaged with bonus stats. That motivates players of that faction to defend their kingdom, because once their king loses the item, they lose the bonus. It also motivates players of other factions to organize raids against the kingdom who holds the item.

Can this be done?

Please say yes.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i would guess NO =)
sorry

a remote alternative is to have a item which coudl be given out by your king to any player who has ally faction with him which has nice stats on it, but make item NO RENT

this means every time player logs out- items poof, but player can get it again as long as his faction remains ally and the king curently has a special flag set to meet your condition where the king has HIS item.

if kings item is taken away he stops giving out player bonus items untill kings item has been returned
Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Okay, that might work. The only potential problem I can see is that each player would have to make a trip to the kingdom to get this item each time he logs in--and these kingdoms are in the middle of nowhere. I suppose a portal would remedy that, but perish the thought! Portals are anathema in my world (as is spell casting).

Here's another thought. Could I place an npc of each allied faction in the major cities, have them hand out this item as a vicar of the king, and then, once the Item is taken from the king by another faction, the king sends some kind of quest::signal to all the vicars of the world to stop handing out items? Do global quests work that way (I have never used them).
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

you won't need to signal them - specialy since signaling does not work zone to zone

you simply have vicars to check for same global variable flag as king would
Old 07-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
you won't need to signal them - specialy since signaling does not work zone to zone. you simply have vicars to check for same global variable flag as king would
How would I go about creating this flag?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

by flag I mean global variable, which I belive you allready using for your event with King, no?