Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::General Discussion

OpenEQ::General Discussion General discussion related to the OpenEQ Project

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

Default Leaving the project

Warning - long rambling post follows:

I've been thinking about this a lot for the last couple of days and I'm sorry to say that I've decided that it wouldn't be right for me to continue to work on this project.

The recent talk about the legallity of the project is what has made me make this decision. I firmly believe that openeq is perfect legal and legitimate. There are clearly some doubt about using the everquest zone files, but I don't believe that it is "illegal" to do so.

However, although openeq might be perfectly legal I'm not entirely happy about the fact that as it stands it is using a large chunk of someone elses work against their wishes. It will clearly allow people to make use of the considerable amount of work that Sony have done making the zones without paying the subscription fee for the game.

As a professional software developer myself I would be unhappy if I'd put years of work into developing everquest and then someone made a way of making use of my work without paying me for it.

While I fully support your right to continue with the project I feel that I can't in good concience continue to help with a project which could end up depriving the original creators of the everquest world the benefits of their work.

To this end, please would you remove my admin access to this forum, and to the source code repository.

I'm sorry to have made this decision and wish you best of luck with your project but after consideration I don't feel that it's really something I ought to be assisting with even in the small capacity I have done so far.

Best wishes to all involved, and to Daeken for much of the excellent work that has been done so far. I'll talk to you on IRC at some point soon.