Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:21 AM
r4kin
Fire Beetle

Default 0.6.4 Client lockups

Lately, I've been experiencing a somewhat annoying client lockup when playing on 0.6.4 servers. But just to give you some background on my problem:

-I did a fresh re-install with the Trilogy download/installer,
-patched to Live via the Everquest patcher,
-and backpatched to 9/13 using a backup I had on hand

As far as I knew, my backup was good for the PEQ server when I last played before the fresh install. (around August, or September) And after a few months, I decided to come back to the server, but found that I had lost my original client files and had to do a fresh re-install followed by backpatching with my backup files.

I can log in just fine, I can see the PEQ server on my server list, I can see and log into the world with any of my characters, even.

The problem is that following a successful login with any character, I notice that I can:
-cast spells
-initiate an attack
-open my inventory
-perform a /who all
-use clicky items
-open doors

and everything seems to be perfectly alright for that 10 or 20 seconds.

but then the client seems to lock up almost entirely, and I then notice that I CANNOT:
-cast spells (I cast a spell that freezes the character into run/walk mode, disables casting of any other spells, and sitting)
-initiate an attack (character just stands idle infront of target)
-open my inventory
-performing a /who all
-target with mouse (target hotkeys on keyboard, such as F1, also disable)
-open doors
-zone or camp (zoning, or camping seems to freeze up the game almost entirely)
-----------------------------------------------------

Here's what I HAVE done to try and fix this problem:

-I've replaced UI files with even older backups (same lockup occurs)
-I've replaced UI files with completely new EQ live files (same lockup occurs)

-I've replaced my Resources folder with older/newer packups (same lockup occurs)

-I've replaced files such as EQGraphicsDX9.dll, eqmain.dll, spells_us.txt, and eqstr_us.txt (but same lockup still occurs)

the filesizes of these files are:
-eqgame.exe (3.55 mb)
-EQGraphicsDX9.dll (2.15 mb)
-eqmain.dll (924 kb)
-dpvs.dll (130 kb)
-spells_us.txt (4.54 mb)
-eqstr_us.txt (825 kb)

I'm pretty sure that my eqgame.exe, eqmain.dll and EQGraphicsDX9.dll are correct, but I've never really been sure about any of the text files.

Other than those essential files, I'm just not sure where the problem would be, or what type of problem I'm experiencing.

With all that in mind, does anyone have an idea as to what part of my backup could have been compromised? Is it a UI problem with my .XML files? is the lockup a result of an incompatible Spell/RenderEffects folder? Audio triggers? Do I have new downloaded EQlive files conflicting with my older backpatched files..?

I've been trying at this for a little while, and any input or direction from someone who knows better would be really handy at this point.

Keep in mind, I am in NO WAY asking, or looking for the right files at all... I'm just looking for a good place to start!

Last edited by r4kin; 01-15-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

this is a widely known issue, and we need ethereal/tcpdump packet collects of it happening (with filter 'udp'), from before you enter the zone, until after you are sure you have lost sync. Nobody has been able to reliably repeat this and give me packet collects
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 PM
kerrak
Fire Beetle

How does one go about collecting these packet, is there a free program? I'm pretty sure I can the bug to happen alot. Its been happening at least 3 times an hour on the server I currenty play on. I would be more than happy to get the info if it will help fix it, I just need to know how to do it.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
r4kin
Fire Beetle

There seems to be some good info on the wiki about it:

Collecting using EtherealCollect:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...therealCollect

Collecting using TcpdumpCollect: (if you're running a Linux box)
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...TcpdumpCollect
Old 01-15-2006, 09:35 PM
kerrak
Fire Beetle

Thanks, I'll get on that tomorrow. I guess I should have checked the wiki myself go go newb power!