Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Default 2nd computer can't join server

So correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read I need to change my <localaddress> in the config file. However, I'm not exactly sure what I need to change it to, and if this will effect the connectivity of external clients. Currently it is set to 127.0.0.1.

Could anyone shed some light on this?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
trevius
Developer

I don't think you ever need to change the localaddress setting in the config. That line is always commented out.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to login to the server with a player account, or are you trying to connect 2 PCs together to use multiple zone servers. If you want to setup multiple zone servers, you should read my post 1 or 2 down from this post. It doesn't work very well at all unless you are running on 2 separate networks.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

I am hosting a server on one computer, and it can join the server fine, along with everyone else on an external connection, but another one of my computers hooked up through my router is not able to connect (err: 1017).

Through some searches, pretty sure I read something about localhost having to not be the 127.0.0.1 value, but I'm not 100% sure if this would even work.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

You need to change the localhost to what your LAN IP scheme is. For instance mine reads:

<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. -->
<!--<address>75.184.73.187</address>-->
<!--<localaddress>192.168.5.52</localaddress>-->
Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Ok, perfect. Could you tell me what the LAN IP scheme is, or where to find it?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
trevius
Developer

Unless I am completely wrong, I am almost positive that lines starting with "<!--" and ending with "-->" are comment lines. Meaning that they are completely ignored as if they weren't even there at all. So, changing anything inside them has absolutely no effect on the config.

The settings here:

Code:
<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. -->
are the same as saying:

Code:
<!-- absolutely nothing here-->
You need to explain your network setup further. If you are using a router, and have all of the right ports forwarded (7000-7100 and 9000), then you shouldn't have any issues at all with this. However, if you are using some odd setup, then that is probably where your problem is. I would guess that you cannot connect to any other servers on that second PC either.

Trust me, there is 99.9% chance that you DON'T need to set those settings and by setting them, you are messing it up.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Code:
These lines are not commented out for me, I have had to tweak them to get my server working.

I have a linksys router, getting a static IP. 2 comps directly plugged into it.

Computer A (host) can join any server. Computer B can join any server EXCEPT the server computer A is hosting.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
trevius
Developer

Have you even tried leaving those lines commented out? From what you have said so far, I see absolutely no reason why you would need to use them. I believe they are only for doing some weird IP stuff if you are running multiple zone servers. Like I said, there is almost no chance that you actually need to have those set. And I am almost positive that this setting is what is causing your second PC connection issue.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause an issue like this is if you were using Port Triggering and/or Port Forwarding. You shouldn't use either of those. You need to use Port RANGE Forwarding.

Also remember than any config changes you make require a server restart before they will take effect. I don't know what else to say without more information.

As for mentioning the comments in my previous post, that was mainly directed to erik_llewellyn, since he didn't seem to understand that. But, I also wanted to mention it so that you know that any advise he gives you on those settings is probably not going to work, since he doesn't even know that his settings for that aren't even being used at all since they are commented out. No offense, erik_llewellyn.

If you don't know exactly what that setting does (and I don't think most people do), I would highly suggest not using it. It is stated in multiple wikis and posts not to use that setting unless you are absolutely sure you have to.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Ok, I will give it a shot commented out, sounds like that may be the issue.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

Trevius is correct on the commented out sections not being read. What I pasted was mine commented out intentionally since what good would it do him to put my info into his config? Here are some screen shots of my server up and running allowing anyone on my LAN side to access as well as allow typical EQEmu users access. Port Forwarding is a MUST if you want multiple computers on your LAN to have access. You must also configure ALL client firewalls to allow for eqgame.exe to run through your firewall. This is in the "exception" tab, click add program, and choose eqgame.exe in your EQ client folder if you use the default windowsXP firewall.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Thanks for the in depth stuff erik, but the commenting out of the 2 lines worked perfectly for me. Probably explains why I had issues getting other people in, in the first place.

Hope someone else can get some use out of those screenshots