Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
mmaker
Fire Beetle

Default Building login server on Ubuntu x64?

Is this actually possible? The SVN source tree has a 32-bit Ubuntu library to link with but not 64-bit, and I can't build a 32-bit server because Ubuntu doesn't install the 32-bit MySQL libraries and doesn't have any obvious way to install them.

I could run the Windows exe in Wine, but I'd rather run a native login server so I can secure it with Apparmor.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Kobaz
Hill Giant

Without trying it (so take this with a grain of salt) you should be able to download the source package, and set the arch option in the makefile/control file to force a 32 bit build, and install it under /usr/local.

You might be able to find what you need by browsing the pool directory in the ubuntu distribution server, but force the install to /usr/local/. You will possibly need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD environment variable to force loading the 32 bit library.

You could also try the 32 bit libraries from debian.org.

You only need the provided library for the eqemuloginserver though AFAIK, so if you use the public login from eqemulator.net this might be a non-issue.

The other alternative would be to install into a 32 bit virtual machine (using Xen or Virtualbox). This might be the least troublesome in the long run.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
mmaker
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaz View Post
The other alternative would be to install into a 32 bit virtual machine (using Xen or Virtualbox). This might be the least troublesome in the long run.
That's not a bad idea: I can probably get away with a very small VM if it only has to compile and run the login server and I don't install anything else.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM
gaeorn
Developer

You could try the fedora 12 64bit libraries that are included in the distro.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 PM
mmaker
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeorn View Post
You could try the fedora 12 64bit libraries that are included in the distro.
I was assuming that they would be incompatible, but I guess I've got nothing to lose from trying them .
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
mmaker
Fire Beetle

Thanks, it builds and runs with the Fedora libraries, but I'll have to get Everquest installed again to see if I can actually log in .