Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Windows ME server

I know this sounds stupid, and I haven't explored it too much so excuse me if I sound uninformed...

Is there any possible way to run a server using Windows ME? Just a small scale server, or even a single person server... just to learn the basics so I can create a better server once I upgrade my comp
Old 07-08-2003, 02:02 PM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

I have set up and ran servers on every version of windows from 95 to XP , just go to the FAQ's page , or download the files and read the documentation.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
booa
Fire Beetle

I have ran servers on 98 2000 and XP . I currently run a server for my family and friends with a 98 machine ( 1 GHz cpu , 512 133 MHz Ram ,15 GB hard drive and a 10 Mbit nic card ) .

Running

EQEMU 4.4
Mysql 3.23.56
5 zones ( usually 3 running 2 sleeping )

Have had 8 people raiding on it ( POF PON POT. During intense battle the lag bar will come up a little but thats all. No strange happings . No crashing .

Dont be fooled . Sure it would be nice to a slamin server...but a good ole machine can run a fine server .

So IMHO ... Go for it .
Old 07-09-2003, 07:27 AM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

just for putting windows ME in your topic, this should be banned. lol
Old 07-09-2003, 10:31 AM
xXToilet_DuckXx
Sarnak

everyone says winME is such a bad OS, but i've been running it for years and i've had no major problems.... i don't see why everyone's so down on it
Old 07-09-2003, 12:07 PM
ozme
Sarnak

Default OF COURSE

Yes when i first started using eqemu i was running windows me, yes its got a bad rap and if you use it and like it keep using it windows ME has alot more features than 98 and for people who dont like xp its more like the old windows style. ive noticed that it loads way faster on 98 i have a 1.2 ghz running 98 and it loads the server faster than my sisters 1.3 ghz on win me. The problem with ME is it just hogs your resources.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Humph

I don't like it, nobody takes the ME users seriously lol... and to make matters worse... giving you more things to make fun of me with... My mother bought the computer. So now I'm out doing work so I can buy my own... got a laptop on XP which is great but it's currently broken and wouldn't handle a server too well
Old 07-13-2003, 02:55 PM
ozme
Sarnak

Default Just install a different OS on the computer

Im sure you have a disc with a different os on in it that you would rather use than me or im sure you know someone who may have one. I.E. win 98 disc (altho not much diff from me) just put it in the cd rom and restart the computer and it will let you reformat the drive and install win 98...... hope that helps