Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:19 PM
fathergod
Fire Beetle

Default What do I need to buy to play everquest

With so many expansions out there, im trying to figure out what I need to buy to get started with just playing a simple game.
Will the latest expansion have everything a newbie needs to start or do I need to get Classic and then the other expansions
Old 07-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Tangeleno
Sarnak

get the evolution package I think that has up to legacy of yekesha then you will also need to buy Lost dungeons of Norrath, and Gates of Discord. Those are all the expansions avalible at the moment afaik.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Mongrel
Hill Giant

You only need to buy the original game, everything else you can get through the patcher. Expansions are "free" on EQEMu.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:53 AM
JohnRev
Hill Giant

Actually, you need to buy nothing. Have any friends?( I doubt it) Well, you can simply request someone send you the .exe. Someone can even do this over AIM. Anyway, there's no reason to spend 10-11 bucks on the original. It's pointless bullshit. Just find the .exe somewhere.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Magick
Sarnak

http://www.everquest.com

That will show you what expansions are available. You need the basics to play but all of them if you wish to see everything.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Dave987
Discordant

Might like to edit that Magick - the rules say that giving out a link in which you can download Everquest, even if it is sony's FTP , it is an insta-bannable offence. Something about if you download it, it's to play on their servers.

Just edit it out .. for your own good ;(
Old 07-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Xabob
Discordant

Dave i am going to go on his side hes not giving the link to there ftp hes showing him how to get a free 30 day thing from SoE that dose not directly link to the Ftp download sony dose so i am going to side with him and say that he is only showing him how to get 30 days free sony is suppling the link
[12:38] <RangerDown> I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day
[12:39] <Xabob> omg
[12:39] <Xabob> want me to shoot you now?
[12:39] <RangerDown> and the first words out of my mouth at the start were:
[12:39] <RangerDown> Hey I bet Rog looks like that

Old 07-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Dave987
Discordant

Though that is true Xabob, it is still a link to a download of Everquest, from Sony. When you download Everquest from Sony, you download it to pay
Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 PM
fathergod
Fire Beetle

Default either way

I went out and bought it since it wasnt so much and because a friend works there

Anyways, when I do try to create a new account, it pops me over to sony's login page etc.

Any news on when the login server will be updated?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:45 PM
ryder911
Hill Giant

Giving out the sony ftp address for Everquest is against the rules and is considered warezz, this has been stated many times before.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Dave987
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder911
Giving out the sony ftp address for Everquest is against the rules and is considered warezz, this has been stated many times before.
Aye ryder, but the point is it wasn't directly to the FTP Address. However, it is a download of EQ, and when you download it, it's assumed you'll be playing on Sony's servers, therefore it shouldn't be able to be linked to ... or something
Old 07-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Magick
Sarnak

Wow.. who would've thought that would've caused such a debate? LOL

I edited just to keep people from putting a pistol in their mouth, but let me say this:

His question was what does he need to buy to play EverQuest? I answered that question by providing a link to the answer. Not warez, by any means. It's a free trial with the permission of the owning company and he stated he plans to BUY. He also said to play EverQuest. Hence, to me, he's a potential paying customer (albiet on the wrong board). I've read the rules and don't think they apply -- a grey area perhaps but we obviously know what the rule was meant to prevent (it's even stated). This post and that link had zero to do with any of the listed materials and/or subject matter:

- FTP (ie., Patcher) links/info is illegally obtaining files which you do not have permission to download. There intent is to update the software of paying clients with an active account. I may be wrong here but I believe this was to prevent posts detailing how to pull any file, via ftp, from the patcher program (ie., whole expansion). If it literally means ANY ftp it still doesn't apply as no ftp was provided.
- "Warez is any file that has been obtained without purchase from the company or a "legit" vendor, or without the sole permission of the owner, or company is considered illegal and is not permitted on these forums. The link provided access to GET PERMISSION from the company and thus, does not apply either

I really do appreciate the concern but if I had gone over the line I think the boys would've nuked my post. On a side note, I guess it's a good thing some agree since I usually only get time to hit the boards once a week or so.. that would've been a shock :p

In any case, it's fixed now with the sole intention that you all relax... breath... and have a good holiday weekend