Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Xan
Fire Beetle

Ok so this is probably something i should have noticed erlier but when you export your zone as a 3ds after importing it from a bsp, the textures show up fine if you have your file structure right for the textures but when you export it to s3d and open it up with eqinside you'll notice that the textures have been saved to a path inside the s3d instead of just being in there. For example:
textures/Photorealistic_brick/brick052.bmp should just be brick052.bmp
Old 08-06-2004, 02:30 PM
killspree
Dragon

Haven't had a problem with this myself. Or did you mean importing directly from bsp to openzone?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I found the problem with the paths and I have it fixed in my 4.7 beta (as well as a lot of other changes and fixes). There is also an issue where OpenZone's .SCN file format doesn't support some of the on-the-fly things I have to do to Quake textures to support Quake shaders, so it means that to get a "proper" S3D from a Quake map you'll have to import and immediately export (saving to SCN and reloading it later loses the changes). Look for a release of 4.7 sometime this weekend. You're still better off using another program to convert your Quake maps to 3DS first, but 4.7 will do a better job of importing Quake maps than 4.6.

WC
Old 08-08-2004, 04:39 AM
KhaN
Dragon

WindCatcher, OZ keep crashing (what i will call crashloop), when i want to build the S3D, the importation is fine but during S3D creation process, something (i dont know what, my zone look fine, especially when OZ load it) make it crash, plus masked texture dont look like to be build during S3D too.

Crash is during : Creating Regions and region tree.

It would be cool if you could say me when you will have time to popup on IRC and see this, thanks

Old 08-08-2004, 05:42 AM
KhaN
Dragon

After some investigations, it appear OZ cant create a S3D when there are more then ~200 meshes (objects) into a 3DS (and it prolly crash too if i used MSH system, since its correct for OZ, but crash during S3D creation).
When i attempted to merge my zone (Well actually, its tunnels from floating islands), S3D creation succeded (Mesh is around 59k poly).

It appear to me OZ is barely limited to 200 mesh during the S3D creation process, i know im the first one to really use OZ, and that for sure a bug of OZ, and not a limitation of the software ...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/coregn/Everq...Temp/AP027.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/coregn/Everq...Temp/AP028.jpg

Old 08-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

Quote:
i know im the first one to really use OZ
incorrect the first one to use it was i believe rogean or one fo the devs, then I started to work on my own world after wind told me of some of the tricks he was using to make his, after a bit i had about 5 zones done I had my own server up and the zones were up for download but noone would log in and play in them so i took it down. well then I lost my zones when i got a bad virus made me reformat my hardrive and I lost my work.......
Old 08-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Xabob
Discordant

and if i member right i have seen one of his zones b4 he lost it and i saw it LONG b4 i even saw u posting on the fourms
[12:38] <RangerDown> I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day
[12:39] <Xabob> omg
[12:39] <Xabob> want me to shoot you now?
[12:39] <RangerDown> and the first words out of my mouth at the start were:
[12:39] <RangerDown> Hey I bet Rog looks like that

Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Shadow Wolf, i dont say im the first one, in my sentence, the word "really" change the meaning of the sentence, well in french it is, maybe my translation is bad. What i wanted to say is im the first one to "fully" use OZ, because my zones start to be somewhat complex (not 50 mesh / 5.000 faces in one ground mesh~, but more like 500-750mesh with 450.000 faces).

Old 08-08-2004, 11:51 AM
killspree
Dragon

khan, has astral plane been designed fully in openzone(other than what OZ can't do atm)?
Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

Khan thats using importation not openzone itself, what you are doing is taking objects from SoE zones and using them in yours(wich is btw illegal) wich is not really reaching to Openzones potential but 3dsmax and the potential oh the people who work at SoE.

*edit* correction Jay was the first person to really use OZ besides windcatcher.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:38 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
what you are doing is taking objects from SoE zones and using them in yours(wich is btw illegal) wich is not really reaching to Openzones potential but 3dsmax and the potential oh the people who work at SoE.
Yes, some objects are from EQLive, i might have like 20 EQLive objects converted, but it look like you never understood why. What the main problem when making zones ? The problem is the zone have to look EQ, when you are in, you have to feel that you are playing EQ, not another game, so yes, my zones are being builded, so i have EQlive objects like barrels and crates in random places to see if the integration is correct.

Have you tried to convert EQLive object ? Well i have convert some, does it worth the effort ? Honestly no, its a damn fucking long job, you have to extract the object, import mesh, convert the textures, remap mesh, re export mesh, and pray to have it load into OZ (Shami know what i speak about). Lets say it, the time you convert one eqlive object, you would have the time to make 2 from your own, plus you will never be able to convert some LDON / GOD models.

Lets imagine one thing, one crazy guy convert all EQLive models and release them, so all would have all eqlive objects to make zones, what that would change ? Objects is only a minor part of a zone, bigger one is the zone itself.

Dont get me wrong Shadow-Wolf, i pretty much estimate you like all the great guy here that are always have a hand to help you, but dont come say i rip all the SOE work when i use like 0.01% to test my zones, you dont have see the gnomish airships i have done, neither desert of ro or commonlands, or freeport ... Now i should maybe stop to continu to work on the oz tutorials im making because yes they use some EQLive objects, or i will just stop to show what OZ can do, because yes, Shadow-Wolf, you think the coolio latest addition you are using in OZ like transparency, masked textures and more were submitted to WC by Santa Clauss ?

And im quite sorry Shadow-Wolf, but yes, importing 3DS, Q3 zones, or Dungeon Builder zones really show OZ potential, dont get me wrong, but real potential of OZ is you can import different format to then build S3D (well, it will need some tweak using OZ before), im hoping next release of OZ will make the zone edition easier, but there are still some work to do on this side :p

Quote:
khan, has astral plane been designed fully in openzone(other than what OZ can't do atm)?
My zones are created under 3DSMAX / MAYA, then imported into OZ where i work with lights / sounds / MSH like all would do.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 PM
killspree
Dragon

Ah cool, I've had a problem importing ground meshes from other programs is why I ask. That and I can't seem to get heightmaps working correctly(using a heightmap to create the zone that is).
Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
KhaN
Dragon

For ground importation be sure its "poly editable", i dont use "Import as ground mesh" since "import as 3DS" have now the same options (Gravity and co).

If you still have problems, mail me your mesh at khan@everquestanthology.com, i will have a look at it.