Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:58 AM
johane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaus
While a PAR set of EQEMU would be awesome(I am actually doing this for myself) I think that is still legally just as bad as sending out a zip file of the EQ Client files.

Besides even if it wasn't there is still the whole idea of people asking what is PAR and how to use it.

As for comparing this to WoW that isn't possible. WoW gives its patch file out to other sites to ease the load. That basically gives the emulator a site outside of Blizzard for others to grab the correct patch files. Even then those sites that hold the patch files might drop them after X amount of time making it not a solid solution.

Like mattmeck said a simple google search will find the files. I can tell you from personal experience I decided to try out EQEmu after being gone for a couple of years and with a little digging I am up and running.

Since a PAR file has essentially the same information content as the files themselves, much as a ZIP file does, there would be no way in hell that distributing a PAR file would not be considered distributing the actual warez in the eyes of SOE, or in the eyes of any halfway intelligent judge.

Don't forget that courts interpret things in light of the Intent of the Law and the Intent of the Actions of the Accussed. Cries of "but I didnt distributed eqgame.exe!" mean zip when the intent is to distribute the file in breach of Sony's copyright.

Good thinking though.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that a binry diff file, that could be used to "backpatch" a valid (but wrong versioned) client would probably be OK as long as it didnt constitute greater than about 10% of the content of the original file (this number 10% is a fuzzy one... and read on for the nasty catch!).

But "probably" is a HUGE word, and I'd NOT suggest it be tried as there would have to be a chance that a judge could consider it to be evil in intent, even though it would be enabling a User to recreate a file that was once publically available and distributed by SOE. The fact that the explicit file that is the result of such a process is NOT publically available from SOE would PROBABLY mean that with the right lawyers and the right judge (the halfway intelligent one I mentioned before) the finding of intent would be that there was an intent to circumvent SOE's copyright - in particular their right to maintain particular versions in the marketplace.

Furthermore, all SOE has to do is to claim that at least one of the official patches between the Emu compatible version and the current live version was for Security purposes, and that this patch involved changing some level of encryption, and they could even invoke the dreaded DMCA, which would result in a very very short court case in my opinion.

So 10 points for good thinking about the PAR files, but minus 10 for not thinking it through like a money hungry corporate manager.

All opinions voiced above are based on my extreme age and experience in the business end of IT and gaming, and not in any way based on the state of the eqemu project or codebase.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

The fact is, they could shut us down at any time for any reason. Its just that shutting us down for no reason would be pretty bad PR on Sony's part, so if we were to slip up and allow or endorse distribution of warez, Sony can defend themselves by saying that we were a center for EQ warez and costing them money.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 PM
javaman
Fire Beetle

Making progress:

World List:
============================
ID: 4, Name: [0.6.6] I Forgot To Edit My Config Server, Local, IP: 127.0.0.1:397
5, Status: 0, AccID: 0
============================
3141906 New client from ip: 127.0.0.1 port: 3999
Unknown packet: .4233692 [92.153.64.0:15->0.0.0.0:0]
[OpCode 0x0003 (OP_Unknown) Size=11]
00000: 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 | ...........

Now to find this in my local copy of the source...
Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Teppen
Banned

Default very simple..

Ive always respected eqemulator forums by not posting links to warez. If you just follow the line of text below you will be playing or hosting in no time, its not that hard to figure out.

titanium(out of box install dont patch) + google = good to go

I speak this from experience, Ive been around here since 2002. Had a nice backup dvd but I went away from eqemu for awhile and my backup dvd got too outdated to the point you needed to patch up to a certain date but not over a certain date, and I felt screwed. I later found that my backup dvd was scratched beyond playing in my pc. So I went to EB bought titanium, did an out of box install did not patch, did a google search, and was playing same day I brought home titanium from the store.

Now I cant and wont tell you what to type in or post any links to it, and wont respond to any pm's regarding this subject.

its very simple.

Last edited by Teppen; 04-05-2006 at 09:09 PM..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Ueguvil
Hill Giant

[~RD~ Not permitted ]

Last edited by RangerDown; 04-06-2006 at 12:22 AM..
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
javaman
Fire Beetle

Im more for a titanium branch. I am slowly getting to make my own build. Just figured out that close(SOCKET) was causing an Assertion and killing World.exe in my VC++ Express (actually needs to be closesocket(SOCKET)).

MS has come along way since VS6 (I am not sure if it is forward though)
Old 06-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Runeblade
Sarnak

Default old days

I can play on 0.6.3 and up cuz i left eq alone on my old comp for so long and came back and luckily didn't update.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 AM
farce
Hill Giant

you can now install titanium and a server and play. follow the guide on the wiki for running a 7.0 server and use the peq db (the other did not work right) and you'll be rocking. There are some updates the database needs (new zone points for nektulos is one) but it'll work.