Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 AM
mwmdragon
Discordant

Default I didn't ask for a complete DB...

I didn't ask for a complete DB... All I asked for was a working DB. I can populate ect. Asking for a complete DM would be insane.

AND I DON"T SEE HOW ASKING FOR A WORKING DB WOULD STOP ANYONE FROM RELEASING ONE ??? That guys got some issues.

I have a 4.4 server which is now outdated and I would love to get a working DB so I can transfer everything over. I'm sorry if you think I was ranting about a completely full / Done DB. One won't exsist for years, if everyone doesn't chip in and create one good DB project. If we took everyone who could populate a zone andgave them each one zone to work on then the DB would be done in no time.. Hell if we even had a few people working on each zone we would see a working DB in a few months.. But no one wants to share anything they have that works.

So I will ask again... Can someone upload a (BLANK "if it has to be") database to work with 5.0 or 5.1 .

"Because of this guy I'll never release my database"
Common, grow up. This isn't real EQ where we have to be pricks to get into the uber guilds.

Any one think making agroups devothed to certain zones can happen ?? I would be willing to host a Development site for all the teams to use "Unlimited space".

NeverQuest
http://neverquest.gotdns.com
Emucade
http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com
Old 12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

again you sir are clueless...

EQEMU comes with a blank db...go nuts...

before posting tho you should realy stop...think...and look
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 12-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

I know not me you goofballs, i was joking!!! Once again my humor goes wasted !
Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

It's too dry, Trump. Make your humor soppy, with a "baddahbing! Who's ya fathah!?" at the end of it.

Or just keep posting it and laughing about how we don't get it.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

Mwdragon-

the db.sql that comes packaged with releases (and cvs builds) should always be where you work from. In other words, instead of sourcing Tcs' db in, then just trying to play eqemu without verifying that there are known problems and/or fixes, try comparing a proved-to-work db (db.sql, the developers give this to everyone for a reason) with the db you are having problems with.

Since you seem to not grasp db editing too comfortably, take my word for it -- use a program called "SQLyog" (free) to compare 2 databases. It syntax highlights changed or 'off' values for quick compares. Compare db.sql with mwnpcmov* db you are using. This will, in almost every case fix your problem (or at least bring to focus what is different, so you have somewhat of an intelligible question to pose to the developers).

I'll be the nice one and tell you that complaining via the forum (or on irc) is a bad idea, and will get you nowhere. Tcs has put a LOT of work into his db's, and it's premature to say 'they don't work'... why? I use them! He would never release a 'non working' db... I know this because I typically stress test his dbs on my server, and I've had nothing but compliments on the db content.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Tertiary
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeg
Mwdragon-

use a program called "SQLyog" (free) to compare 2 databases. It syntax highlights changed or 'off' values for quick compares.
Thanks for the "heads up" on SQLyog Kroeg, never heard of it before and it looks really useful.

Link here for the Google impaired

http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/
Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Wumpas
Hill Giant

Default OHH NO

NO Please NO !

I love colecting any DB and app I can get my hands on for learning. The Guildwars DB would be invaluable to learn from.

I Beg you Sir /dev/noob Don't close the door on this I would really like to see the GW DB and see how you get all your cool functions in there like items that spawn guards and the other consepts you guy have are simply inspiring.

I look forword to GuildWars and would love the opertunity to learn from it as well as play on it! It's great that you wizards have the ability and time to build all this stuff I too have gobs of time just my skills are still in beta development

Some day I would love to be able to build DB's and having any good DB exspecialy the GuildWars DB would be like gold as a standard to look to.

Im only asking by no means am I demanding. I realise it's no easy favor for you guys who already give 150 percent to support the community to wind up giving more.

(If it's not released in mass could it be at lease be available to a small circle to those that take intrest in it?) I am at your mercy.

TO
Dev team, Scorpius2k, TcsMyWorld (and all your cronies) ,
MollyMillions and all the suport helpers , (many others)

Yar, may Brell Bless your blades to be a light to all that is
small and noobish!

P.S. Wumpas peers around for flamers. Did I Make my Dexterity Check?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:52 AM
mwmdragon
Discordant

Default Thanks Kroeg, everyone else here needs to get lai*.

All i ask for is a blank DB and next thing you know the sky is falling. One intelligent answer from so many posts is shamefull.
Thanks again Kroeg.

As for the rest of you hormone driven apes

NeverQuest
http://neverquest.gotdns.com
Emucade
http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com
Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

The funny thing is, as I mentioned in another thread, Myra has been talking about doing the work to take some of our DB and making it generic for others to use....

Threads like this make me want to discourage her. Why? Because I know that the same people who beg for a DB will complain about it when they get it. I see no point in her putting in all the effort and time to undertake something like that when I know she will be given enough grief about it to make her wish she had never done it. Strangely, she is still considering it.

TCS has worked hard to create the only 3rd party DB available for 5.0. Go through the forums and count the messages. How many "thank you" verses how many "this doesn't work" do you count?

What motivation do you see for someone to do this? For the "good" of the project? Yeah, right. I think for your own "good".

The two most important words: Thank you
The three most important words: I was wrong.
The four most important words: How may I help?

Learn them.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Wumpas
Hill Giant

Default Scorpius i feel bad

Scorpius you are right But I for one do say thank you i did a few post ahead of yours in fact.

Not all of us complain (i used to a bit when i was really green. Now ive seen the light!) I Ask forgivness

I have followed your post since I stumbled on your pathing tutorial many months ago. I have not posted threads to thank you guys properly and I am sorry for my neglect. The support is there I just havn't voiced it as im sure others feel the same way.

I even try to fix my code with the fixes you post from time to time and they do help when i can figure out how to do it. your recent SQL patch to fix the duplicating pets was great help. It tought me how to source in a sql made from notepad.

Tommorow after exams are over im going to properly thank you guys look for the post probably in the eavning.

Keep up the good fight its not in vain. There are people like me who care they just don't post because there intimidated by the forums and afraid of a mattattack (JK i love those attacks when they nail the really stupid posts Junkyard = Real funny reading). I too want to join as soon as i get a good grasp of the DB and the source code. I could jump into it now but Im timid and just know id drag the project down with my non developed skills. youd end up with alot of bugs to fix if I was a DB builder. Hopefully that will be changing soon im learning more every day.

To the TCS team I thank you guys too you have braved the text editors for far to long without thanks the same probably goes for the GuildWars guys. Having actuly conversed with TCS in the chat rooms Ive got to say He is passionate about the EqEmu DB Project wich i see from each and every one of the develpers code tinkers and suport helpers.

I hope this raised a few spirits and to the original topic I myself have troble with the canned empty database I know its all my own errors best I can tell you is its a great challenge on a boring saturday. Im sure we will all figure it out eventuly (took me 2 months to figure out how to get the EqEmu to work in the first place now thats green LOL) note to get it to work I just followed the Guides and every time I would find somthing I missed and I would get closer and closer until it all finaly clicked. I Suspect the DB issues are the same I just gota read the instructions enough !

You will one day get the hang of it as I hope to someday as well.

Merry Christmas all !!!

(A bit early I know but this post needs some cheer)

Thank you again to all the developers you included Scorpius
Old 12-11-2003, 01:38 AM
maethwyn
Fire Beetle

Default Re: Thanks Kroeg, everyone else here needs to get lai*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmdragon
All i ask for is a blank DB and next thing you know the sky is falling. One intelligent answer from so many posts is shamefull.
Thanks again Kroeg.

As for the rest of you hormone driven apes
Canadians... sheesh.

This isn't health-care... it ain't a thankless, sub-par handout. Put-up, or shut-up. You probably complain about that free service, too.

Thanks Trump for the hint on the sql compare program... what a nice surprise!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

Trump didn't mention it :P
Old 12-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

Yes, but I am the root of all knowledge!

If you have a brilliant idea, it came from me!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Default Re: Scorpius i feel bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumpas
Scorpius you are right But I for one do say thank you i did a few post ahead of yours in fact.
I saw that and its appreciated. I was speakiing to the vast majority who don't.

Quote:
To the TCS team I thank you guys too you have braved the text editors for far to long without thanks the same probably goes for the GuildWars guys.
I quoted this because I thought it deserved being said again

Quote:
Thank you again to all the developers you included Scorpius
I appreciate the thanks, but want to be sure to point out that I am not a dev, just a lowly single dad who manages to squeak out an occasional helpful post. Wish I had more time to spend on it.

I would also like to add my thanks to the talented people who sacrifice their own personal time to make this possible for the rest of us. Thanks Devs, one and all.

When I grow up, I want to be a Developer
Old 12-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Wumpas
Hill Giant

Default thanks or clearing that up

Thank you for clearing that up Scorpius. I guess I don't have to jump off the wizard spires any more :P I was afraid I was forsaken there hehe.

Quote:
I appreciate the thanks, but want to be sure to point out that I am not a dev, just a lowly single dad who manages to squeak out an occasional helpful post. Wish I had more time to spend on it.
Don't sell yourself short your post are extreamly helpful and your web site tutorials and zone / model lists are a great resource. If that was a team effort give your team my thanks !

Trumpcard LOL thats hilarious I just pasted that in my favorite quotes text file. (dont laugh you know you have one too :P )