Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::Development

OpenEQ::Development Development discussion for OpenEQ. Do not post for support.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaN
Quote:
Player houses and structures was a very large part of the reasoning for this design (and not in swg style fashion, but in design the buildling fashion).
RTPatcher is thx.
I disagree, guildhouses, and purchasable property, that would be awesome )
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:38 AM
KhaN
Dragon

You do not need a new engine to make purchasable properties, because EQEmu already allow to place object in a zone, just make a house, castle as an object, and one NPC can place it at the coords ...

Old 10-15-2004, 08:19 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Those objects you can walk right through (bag on the ground). and you could still only place set "stock" houses then. As opposed to designing it by each and every wall, etc.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Yodason
Hill Giant

Remember we did have the discussion, Khan, that however I did it, I would make sure it was level designer friendly (I seem to remember a discussion one possible way might be to use maxscript.) The much more broader picture I had of this was a world where you can influence the world; this simply is not possible in a static geometry.

-- Yodason.

(yes, part of the post did dissapear, deal with it.)
Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I remembered that you were asking about GUI toolkits for OpenGL, and I ran across this by chance on Slashdot...

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~rademach/glui/
Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher
I remembered that you were asking about GUI toolkits for OpenGL, and I ran across this by chance on Slashdot...

I was looking at FLTK as well as this... both seem pretty nice.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 10-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

FLTK is nice, pretty simple to make.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Those objects you can walk right through (bag on the ground). and you could still only place set "stock" houses then. As opposed to designing it by each and every wall, etc.
You wont walk through a wall that is placed ingame using EQ. Try this if you dont understand:

Use an object viewer to view all the objects for OOT. A few of them are walls (some are even houses). Add those objects to your door table for OOT and then zone in and go to the coords of where you placed the objects. They act like a normal wall. The same is true for the houses you can spawn by simply adding them to your doors table. I know because I did it on a server I was running. You can easily build stuff using the current engine, the only limitation is that there isnt very many objects that are appropriate for the task. If more were added or an addon like OpenZone could be used in game, you wouldnt need to redesign the engine.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

The likely reason you can walk through a bag is because it probably isn't checked in the collision-checking code. The same is for tree leaves; all that's needed is a flag for checking/not checking collisions. As long as an object is placed appropriately in the BSP tree/octree, it can be checked for the purpose of collision avoidance. The only issue is polygon count: adding too many polygons in a small area can cause lag.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher

OMG stay away from glui...
it is the biggest, bugiest piece of poo i have used in a long time...

just my 2c on this one.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Yodason, all i have to say is, dynamic content (dynamic meshes) is nice, but see around you, fact is, few people is able to make static content (static meshes) using OpenZone, and fewer will be able to make dynamic content.

I dont say i dont want dynamic engine, but i think atm, basis of OpenEQ should be priority (something stable, using EQ files). Like, if you create a new soda, you will study the market to see if peoples will drink it .... if you make new game client, you will study the market to see if players will use it ... mkay ....

Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

Im disapointed that I won't have a client for EQ that I can customize to include lots of new features but if my machine can run it I will most definatly be using it.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Mongrel
Hill Giant

I agree with KhaN. Make something stable first (using EQ files), something that actually works and then go from there. You'll need those easy advancements to not lose the fun of working.

EQEMu files

Winter's Roar spell database