Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
That's too bad. Considering this wonderful open-source project, and the ability for so many people to run a server, it's too bad those who created GW server(s) cannot share and allow others to successfully fail at running one, too.

People seem to love the concept.
Source code for Gwars was released, because it falls under the GPL. Image released the last GW source before he went missing. I however never GPLed my database, My database doesnt fall under GPL therefore was never opensource. I am free to do with my work as I see fit. Much as other companies write software for Linux and charge a fee I am free to do the same.

Scorp2k Sold his server, why is what I do any worse?
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 12-01-2006, 07:34 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Heh, I was being tongue-in-cheek There's nothing wrong with busting your ass building a custom world and expecting compensation. I wasn't around when GW source was available, and can't seem to get ahold of it today (and frankly, do not understand it much anyway so many I am not looking hard enough).

All I meant was, if someone builds a kick-ass server then goes AWOL, for years... it would be nice to pass it on if they never intend to run a server again. Scorp is apparently running his again, or trying to. But theirs was still availalbe for a time. Some aren't. Ever.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:06 PM
chestbuster
Fire Beetle

Please don't derail the thread.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 AM
klamath
Sarnak

O DevNoob around image can't be far away ^_^
Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Killae
Fire Beetle

Default Aye ya Aye

Hello people, It has came to my attention. I may not speak english so well but, perhaps let me establish one point. or two.
Google and 5 seconds
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=117457

I do not know if this is what you are searching for.

I meen no disrespect to any persons and or organizations.

Thank you for your time. I apologize for my english.

Goda Everquest e sia sicuro tutto

~Tasto~
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
bennyboy888
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killae
Hello people, It has came to my attention. I may not speak english so well but, perhaps let me establish one point. or two.
Google and 5 seconds
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=117457

I meen no disrespect to any persons and or organizations.

Thank you for your time. I apologize for my english.

Goda Everquest e sia sicuro tutto

~Tasto~
erm k ya that was a old pvp based server that could never get anywhere because of corrupt gm's... its also 2 years old if you didn't notice
Old 12-04-2006, 02:52 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killae
I think what most are looking for is an entire server, ready to rock... not something that has to be pieced in to the existing Emu. That zip has a few cpp/h files in it, looks like a module of sorts. I guess someone with enough ambition could figure it out ~yawn~
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 PM
XebeknSZ
Sarnak

I don't think you will get a very big population to start out with so I would suggest limiting the zones to Nektulos, LS, SolA/B Najena EC Nro Oasis Sro and customize some kind of high level zone, maybe Lguk (the drops in there are on par with Sol B) on the side somewhere. Off of Sro perhaps. Of course the starting zones would be neriak and freeport. Just make evils in neriak all others in freeport.

Don't try and do anything special like all these other people are doing like battlegrounds and other ideas. EQ pvp was good enough back in the day without this stuff.

Lvl 50 max, free for all and no level restrictions.

Old zones, no revamps.

Exp modification. I know I wouldn't play if it took me regular time to level, that's just dumb on a server that can go down at any time and be lost.

Just open more zones as the population increases.

Trust me, if you just bring back old school PvP then you will have a lot of people come to play.

I for one get frustrated with taking over cities, controlling areas ect. It's EQ it worked fine the first time, don't change it.

Old school PvP is where its at.

P.S. Don't open any expansions except for maybe Kunark and that's a huge maybe.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
chestbuster
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XebeknSZ
I don't think you will get a very big population to start out with so I would suggest limiting the zones to Nektulos, LS, SolA/B Najena EC Nro Oasis Sro and customize some kind of high level zone, maybe Lguk (the drops in there are on par with Sol B) on the side somewhere. Off of Sro perhaps. Of course the starting zones would be neriak and freeport. Just make evils in neriak all others in freeport.

Don't try and do anything special like all these other people are doing like battlegrounds and other ideas. EQ pvp was good enough back in the day without this stuff.

Lvl 50 max, free for all and no level restrictions.

Old zones, no revamps.

Exp modification. I know I wouldn't play if it took me regular time to level, that's just dumb on a server that can go down at any time and be lost.

Just open more zones as the population increases.

Trust me, if you just bring back old school PvP then you will have a lot of people come to play.

I for one get frustrated with taking over cities, controlling areas ect. It's EQ it worked fine the first time, don't change it.

Old school PvP is where its at.

P.S. Don't open any expansions except for maybe Kunark and that's a huge maybe.
Assuming the server is using the original pvp ruleset, what's your take on customizing items, quests, mobs, etc?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
bennyboy888
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XebeknSZ

I wish sony would only listen to this :( o well their lose hope some emu server follows through with it and prove all those bluebies on the progression forums wrong.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
thecoleb
Fire Beetle

Default WEll!

Barl's idea is great, but death penalty to make it fun should be death your done, start back at square one. I remember a server like that that i used to play on back in the day like 2 years ago, was an absolute blast.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
XebeknSZ
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestbuster
Assuming the server is using the original pvp ruleset, what's your take on customizing items, quests, mobs, etc?
Most quests take place in SolRo temple. I meant to add it as a zone. One quest that comes to mind is Jboots. Ring is in SolRo rapier in nektulos and you could make Rathe Mountains an zone off of Ecommons in place of Wcommons for now. That would be fun because it would be a neutral territory for all types of levels to PvP it out. Any other quests you would want to put in could be added easily. I wouldn't customize items that drop in zones not available yet. Just let them be available when the zones come out live.

Another idea would be every week to add a zone off of the Rathe zone or make the Western Commons ent the ent to the random zone of the week. I know my ideas are muddled but its exam week and I have people in the lab high on caffeine bothering me.

Each week you could change the zone. One week it could be Cazic-Thule, the next week upper guk, the next week qeynos hills for the drops ect ect.

Can't concentrate, let me know what you think.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
DrPlump
Fire Beetle

Wts Gw Db PST with offers
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlump
Wts Gw Db PST with offers
^^^ Not real gw db

but taking offers for the real db PST
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Silenteer
Sarnak

stop cursing on forums, you went too overbord

Mattmeck

Last edited by mattmeck; 01-30-2007 at 08:42 AM..